Gonna intentionally avoid a drawn-out post the best I can.
Things that I liked:
1. The early occupation stuff is overall good. it's generally agreed its overall been done pretty well so far. It's fresh and opens up tons of unique manners to explore the setting besides the nonsense we got up to during V2's runtime. If the 'flow' of it can be done right, the early occupation aspect of the server will probably serve to be its main draw.
2. The prop-work was really well done. Not something I've seen mentioned often, but it merits mentioning. Some locations, such as the infested factory, were done with exceptional quality and attention towards detail. I never really felt like I tired of the map, and on the few occasions I found cause to go rummaging around its less travelled areas, I never felt like it appeared barren or beyond thought.
3. The event seemed pretty open to player agency (though arguably a bit too reliant on it, and with an additional caveat I will mention later) which despite flaws that were coupled with this, was nice to see.
4. The few events I was able to be a part of, even those with barely any plot relevance, were generally good (Excluding the final railway gunfight). Having fought the whale, I was entirely engaged during that period, before, during and after the affair. Was really well done and leads me to believe whenever someone could catch an event - it probably was of quality.
Theres honestly more I think the event did well overall that I can't really comment on simply because I was exposed to so little of it, meaning I have limited reference points to what I perceived to have gone right...as opposed to wrong. I know quite a few people enjoyed the precinct storylines, and the politics and all of these other storylines - but I simply had zero activity within any of them. As such...
Things I did not like:
1. The biggest problem I had with this event was undoubtably the fact, that more than any other event or setting we've been in since V2, I struggled a lot with engagement. I've had people remark this is entirely my fault, or because of my character - which being blunt - is simply incorrect.
I often went out of my way to engage with any plots or stories I could find, with very little success in the matter. I even once agreed to hunt down a massive xenian beast, just to put into perspective how little I factored in the expected 'fragility' of my elderly character. I wasn't perfect, and there were definitely periods in the latter weeks where I was so exhausted of the effort - I simply didn't put much forth. But it remains all the same.
I believe the core of this issue was the fact almost all storylines were relegated to CCA (which is what I will collectively refer to as any political activity) players and roles, which relied on these things trickling down to the streets in order to engage them. Something which rarely happened. Even when it did, parcels of an otherwise engaging whole were all that could be found.
The best example of this was the final train-station assault. For us on the streets, we spent about thirty minutes or more being fed hype and broadcasts over how we were approaching some immense, epic finale. Death and blood - all for the chance to escape. People were panicked, expending energy to prepare for a difficult fight. Some even said premature goodbyes, thinking the end rapidly approached.
It was one dude we were against.
A couple of people in the upper pipeline of the political sector knew this but kept it to themselves for IC reasons. that's fine. What isn't ultimately fine is that the conflict was set-up in such a way that the vast majority of the players, hyped for something major, basically just found themselves deflating as they awkwardly shuffled onto the train - unscathed and unengaged. That is how I felt at least.
That's the pinnacle of what went wrong with the event in my experience, and from my perspective. Eighty percent of the players relied on trickling, and runoff storylines handed to the upper twenty percent of players, sometimes less. CCA RP is rarely something that provides fresh RP to the citizenry. What citizens get is almost always an echo of whatever occurred behind closed doors. Loud enough, this may not matter. It very much did in D1 however, given how quiet it was inside.
This was the big one, and the number one lesson I feel needs to be taken away from the event.
Beyond that, some other minor/moderate points
2. The early occupation stuff did flounder a bit with aesthetic and technological inconsistencies. Things like the fabricators showing up or cops being all over the place with what equipment they have. (Some were with nothing, others had full HL2 tech equipped.) Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.
3. The post-D1 segment was really rough. wasn't anything to really do, and it seemed like it would have been better off just ending with the train, following a more proper finale. Basically, just went on longer than it perhaps should have.
4. It should be noted, I feel setting up basic QOL baselines is probably a good idea going forward. The lack of any economy, and total OOC blindness to the value of everything present made running a shop feel genuinely impossible for the first few weeks.