Official Player Kill Policy Suggestion

Equinox

Radio Bob Approved
HL2RP Gamemaster
Galunga Prince
Content Creator
Best answers
Reaction score
I decided that because of the lack of an official written stance, and the fact that we've had a discussion on it, that I should compile what I feel were the best points of the PK discussion and form an official policy. Unlike the discussion thread, this is a suggestion that I am proposing. It may also include ideas and concepts from other members, but at the same time I am picking what I feel worked best.

What I ask for, whether this policy is used or not, is that an official post be made under the "Half Life 2 Roleplay" forums (and stickied) that details our stance on Player Kills. I think it's very important to outline, and best to do so now than before the server comes out. This is being written as if it's the official policy.

Player Kill Policy
The following outlines the Willard Networks HL2RP Player Kill policy, as relating to permanent death of a character. The following is not a strict rule, but should generally be adhered to for most characters. This policy only applies to the main server, and not event servers, which may have their own approach to Player Kills.

In the instance where a character is killed in a roleplayed situation, the following actions are to occur:

• Complete "New Life Rule" of the character. The character will no longer remember any roleplayed instances since the beginning of that character on the server. The character may keep their backstory, or it may be altered or changed entirely depending on what the player decides. This also applies to other characters. Players who accomodate an NLR'd character as to reintegrate said character into their previous group will be punished for metagame.
  • Rename of the character. The character will be renamed, and may not keep the same first or last name.
  • Inventory reset. The character's inventory is wiped and reset to that of a new character.
  • Skill penalty. The character will have all skills that are above 5 deducted by 50%, effectively halving the character's skills aside from that which was already low to begin with.
  • Currency reset. The character's currency will be reset to the starting amount.
  • Remade description. The character's description will be remade. It may have the same aspects as their previous description, but cannot be a copy and paste.
  • Loss of Status/Rank. The character will lose their rank and status in its entirety, and set appropriately to their default status. Any sort of Citizen character (loyalist, business owner, rebel) will be made into a new arrival. Any Vortigaunt will be made into a newly arrived, enslaved Vortigaunt. Civil Protection will be made into new recruits. Administration will be made into newly arriving Citizens as well, losing their Administration position entirely.
The intent of these actions is to allow players to continue using a character while also keeping the roleplay narrative of the server consistent.

The following will result in a Player Kill:

• Roleplayed deaths by a character with intent. If a character is killed by another character who intended to murder them, and the attacker had an IC reason to do so (not a murderhobo) it will result in a PK. Sufficient roleplay is either determined by the combat system (in which one must headshot a downed player to kill them) or by GM's in S2RP (for things such as combat without guns/weapons) or regular RP.
  • Roleplayed deaths by a character who was defending themselves. If a character attacks another character, but is killed by their target (or someone else protecting/responding) then they will be player killed if the defense roleplays killing them, or headshots them when they are down in the combat system.
  • Roleplayed deaths as the result of sacrifice/suicide. If a character roleplays throwing themselves into a situation they cannot possibly survive, or commits suicide, they are to receive a PK as determined by the GMs. Examples include jumping off a building, shooting ones self or throwing yourself into a swarm of NPCs (and dying).
  • Execution by Civil Protection. Any form of execution by the Civil Protection as a result of breaking laws will result in a PK.
  • Any form of "long term imprisonment." Examples of this are "being sent off world" or "being sent to Nova Prospekt" or equivelant. These will result in a PK.
  • Any other roleplay situations as determined by a GM. Gamemasters may deem that a death will result in a PK, though they will be encouraged to use leniancy and possibly alternate outcomes as well.
The following will not result in a Player Kill:
  • Accidental deaths. Deaths that are not the result of a roleplayed actions, such as falling off a high object on accident, getting prop killed, or killed for any reason that wasn't meant to be.
  • Deaths by S2K combat that were not agreed upon by all players. Under no circumstance will a player ever have their character PK'd for an S2K firefight that they did not agree to engage in through S2K.
  • Random Murder Roleplay. Characters who die because of another player who was purposefully roleplaying the murder of other characters for no reason will not receive a PK. This is to avoid "murderhobo" characters who go on random killing sprees for no reason, or malicious players who may target other players for the purpose of killing off their character for no IC reason.
If you the player feel as though your PK was unjustified, you may appeal it on the forums.

Let me know what you think, and if any changes should be made. The idea is that this will be made into the official, written policy for PKs so we aren't just going by word of mouth or our own assumptions. @Imperator RAD-X @Atle @Robert

Gr4Ss

Lawnmower
Developer
Best answers
Reaction score
Keep in mind, there will be no S2K. There will only be S2RP if nobody starts actually shooting, otherwise turn-based combat will engage.

Also, some random thoughts when reading this:
  • PK still stands for permanent kill, not player kill last I checked. Like... wtf does 'player kill' mean in the context of RP? That it is a player who died? That a player killed something/someone? Rather than the quite clear 'permanent kill': you permanently kill someone/get permanently killed -> it is the type of death they do not return from.
  • Toss out this NLR but namechange, inventory reset, etc. stuff. It is a new character, the old one is dead. That's a PK, not an NLR. Script-wise this creates challenges (we need to add new functionality to recreate the new character based off of the old one), and it just encourages people to put zero effort into any new character. Plus it'll still create wrinkles... Ever seen 2 people with the exact same backstory? And what if people want to get rid of a super annoying character only to have his exact clone show up?
  • In all situations, I think there still is a big rule lacking: there must be a (good) reason for the kill to happen (we don't condone random murders resulting in PK's) to that specific character (if a character wasn't the target, NLR should be enough) and said reason must be valid (fuckups off the killer shouldn't punish the killed). Can maybe also just add in that mere suspicion doesn't count as a valid reason (because anyone can claim they suspect something). Killing the character is also expected to be a proper proportional response given said reason (no killing because 'he called me a dick like 10 weeks ago').
  • Ideally, the character who gets PK'ed took a conscious choice to do (or not do) something which served as a foundation for reason for which it is being killed. Aka the PK is a consequence of something the player did, where the player had a choice to do something else instead. Aka a risk was knowingly taken (no matter how small or distant) for which the price must be paid.
  • Deaths during or following TBC qualify for PK's even if no roleplay was involved. Requiring a single additional /me to shoot the downed guy just creates an additional hurdle that can cause discussions. People will make binds/copy paste it anyway.
  • Deaths due to bleedout can be considered the same as being killed by whomever damaged you.

Also, any death that does not result in a PK will qualify for NLR:
  • Your character will drop all of its items
  • There is a skill penalty to NLR deaths
  • Of course your character does not remember anything leading up to their death. In case this is complex, contact a GM about it.
  • People who saw you die are expected to assume it was a John Doe that died.
  • A short temporary ban is still given to the character in case the death might qualify for a PK. If it is clear that the death does not qualify for a PK, any GM can remove this temporary ban (but this is a privilege that may or may not be given at the GM's their discretion - so do not count on it and avoid dying).
To keep in mind: due to bleedout system, dying in a single action is no longer possible, removing most if not all accidental deaths. There need to be two instances of damage at least for a full death, with the second damage instance being specifically damage done by another player to your character's head. The only other option is damage and the 10 minute bleedout timer expiring. Due to this, any actual script death kicking means 1) a player did it or 2) you bled out after 10 minutes.

Robert

British Swan
Staff Member
Community Manager
Galunga Prince
Best answers
Reaction score
Hello there.

We will get round to writing a PK Policy soon. I do agree it would be good to have one up so both players and Gamemasters can see what exactly our PK Policy is before they get into RP on the server and won't be surprised if they get a PK they weren't expecting or not getting a PK where they would think they would normally get on based on the past communities they played on. It would be nice for everyone to know exactly how PK's and NLR is handled on Willard.

This can be brought up in the next CM meeting to get the policy sorted. To which we already have a very good idea of what our existing PK system and structure is, just no written documentation on it anywhere, but we will do so with such so everyone is aware of it.

Equinox

Radio Bob Approved
HL2RP Gamemaster
Galunga Prince
Content Creator
Best answers
Reaction score
In all situations, I think there still is a big rule lacking: there must be a (good) reason for the kill to happen (we don't condone random murders resulting in PK's) to that specific character (if a character wasn't the target, NLR should be enough) and said reason must be valid (fuckups off the killer shouldn't punish the killed). Can maybe also just add in that mere suspicion doesn't count as a valid reason (because anyone can claim they suspect something). Killing the character is also expected to be a proper proportional response given said reason (no killing because 'he called me a dick like 10 weeks ago').
This was already elaborated in the OP.
What?
A short temporary ban is still given to the character in case the death might qualify for a PK. If it is clear that the death does not qualify for a PK, any GM can remove this temporary ban (but this is a privilege that may or may not be given at the GM's their discretion - so do not count on it and avoid dying).
Should definitely be added. Good idea. I might have forgotten to include it in the OP.
To keep in mind: due to bleedout system, dying in a single action is no longer possible, removing most if not all accidental deaths. There need to be two instances of damage at least for a full death, with the second damage instance being specifically damage done by another player to your character's head.
The OP was written with this in consideration.
2) you bled out after 10 minutes.
That's an incredibly long time imo. 10 minutes? Wouldn't that be 10 minutes of someone just staring at a black screen, unable to do anything at the discretion of another player? Considering that death will follow, and that this happens no matter what damage you take, shouldn't this also lead to an NLR instead? If a player wants someone dead, they'll go up and execute them, or contact the GM and say that they want the bleedout to PK them.

Equinox

Radio Bob Approved
HL2RP Gamemaster
Galunga Prince
Content Creator
Best answers
Reaction score
This can be brought up in the next CM meeting to get the policy sorted. To which we already have a very good idea of what our existing PK system and structure is, just no written documentation on it anywhere, but we will do so with such so everyone is aware of it.
I'll wait for this, but how long will it be until the "next CM meeting"?

Gr4Ss

Lawnmower
Developer
Best answers
Reaction score
This was already elaborated in the OP.

What?

Should definitely be added. Good idea. I might have forgotten to include it in the OP.

The OP was written with this in consideration.

That's an incredibly long time imo. 10 minutes? Wouldn't that be 10 minutes of someone just staring at a black screen, unable to do anything at the discretion of another player? Considering that death will follow, and that this happens no matter what damage you take, shouldn't this also lead to an NLR instead? If a player wants someone dead, they'll go up and execute them, or contact the GM and say that they want the bleedout to PK them.
TBC = turn-based combat.

And as for the bleedout, configurable in-game. Just set to 10 minutes right now and we'll see how it goes.