Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duplicate Another dispatch suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devistral

Combine Main
ENG
Administrator
GALUNGA
Joined
Apr 14, 2022
Messages
243
The one thing that always bugged me is how there’s only one broadcast type and the fact players that are non-combine immediately see “DISPATCH” as the broadcaster.

Broadcast should have two types:
/Dispatch - District-wide announcements
/City - City-wide announcements

This gives more emphasis for roleplay in my opinion.

Second of all, change “dispatch broadcasts” to simply:
District speakers broadcast:
City speakers broadcast:

Dispatch should be mysterious, a strange voice that people hear, not “dispatch”

Eg.

/dispatch judgement waiver

District speakers broadcast: Attention all ground protection teams, judgement waiver is now in effect.

/city (Insert long quote)

City speakers broadcast: Incursion warning. Stabilisation teams move to hardpoints.

This more or less says:
“The district the server is in has gone to shit. After it ends there will be district consequences, and not city-wide consequences. OTA have also prepared for any further incidents.”

This also means if I did

/city Judgement Waiver


City speakers broadcast: Judgement waiver is now in effect.

It makes it more of a “oh shit” moment as now you understand the whole city is in trouble. It also means that if the combine manage to suppress the uprising the city will then suffer the consequences as a whole rather than just the district.


It envelops a secondary benefit too:
Rebels can now work between city-wide incursions or district incursions.
Major rebel cells in the city would be the only ones capable of causing city-wide incidents.

It also removes the 1 rebel assassinating some high tier CCA and causing the whole city to go to shit out of bumfuck nowhere.
 
I do like the suggestion, I don't really care for separating the announcements.

If dispatch has something to say, everyone and their mother hears it. The messages sent over dispatch transforms an ordinary lifeless day, into a day of curiosity, wonder, and fear.

People hear the calls made over the intercom and discuss it with the people around them. They could spend hours conversing over the uproar, expressing what they think is going on, rumors start, even better: spread. The point of dispatch is to churn the melting pot between Civilians and Civil Protection, or really any faction. It doesn't discriminate and those announcements affect every single faction.

Dispatch should be heard by everyone and anyone regardless of the situation, though I would be happy with it displaying "City Speaker Broadcast" instead, ultimately this name change will not affect the effect that dispatch has on a city.
 
I do like the suggestion, I don't really care for separating the announcements.

If dispatch has something to say, everyone and their mother hears it. The messages sent over dispatch transforms an ordinary lifeless day, into a day of curiosity, wonder, and fear.

People hear the calls made over the intercom and discuss it with the people around them. They could spend hours conversing over the uproar, expressing what they think is going on, rumors start, even better: spread. The point of dispatch is to churn the melting pot between Civilians and Civil Protection, or really any faction. It doesn't discriminate and those announcements affect every single faction.

Dispatch should be heard by everyone and anyone regardless of the situation, though I would be happy with it displaying "City Speaker Broadcast" instead, ultimately this name change will not affect the effect that dispatch has on a city.

If cities have like 100k to 10 million people then we don't need city wide announcements for johnny rebel shotcopping two low rank CPs in a single district. Nearby districts can obviously faintly hear our districts broadcasts. It also provides an option for GMs to pretend that another district nearby has gone to shit and we can faintly hear their district broadcasts.

If johnny rebel killed 3 CPs and caused the district to go fractured it doesn't mean dispatch should be doing:
city speakers broadcast: 1 rebel in community
when jimmy jones in the cwu is at district 1 packing my bi-hourly ration pack at least 10km away from my district
it's an unnecessary escalation and makes the player feel like gordon freeman when they're being called out like anti-citizen one throughout the ENTIRE city for a quick shotcop

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seperation doesn't negatively affect the control or impact of dispatch on the server at all, in-fact I would argue it improves both and creates opportunity. GMs and staff have a habit of instantly causing the WHOLE city to go to shit when fractured or judgement waiver is called for a district incident (i'm guilty of this) and I believe seperation may assist better in handling post-fuckery CvRs.
 
Last edited:
If cities have like 100k to 10 million people

we got like 50.
 
If cities have like 100k to 10 million people

we got like 50.

You and I have way different views.
You see the city as the servers pop.
I see the city as a lore narrative.

We are not the same...
 
I really doubt population centers would have theese kinds of numbers, seeing as how there was a global spanning conflict that must've been pretty destructive and all the uh, you know... Genocide and transhumanism.
 
I really doubt population centers would have theese kinds of numbers, seeing as how there was a global spanning conflict that must've been pretty destructive and all the uh, you know... Genocide and transhumanism.

City Eight in willard lore had ten million people and industrial 24 had about a hundred thousand so that's where I got my numbers.
 
If cities have like 100k to 10 million people then we don't need city wide announcements for johnny rebel shotcopping two low rank CPs in a single district. Nearby districts can obviously faintly hear our districts broadcasts. It also provides an option for GMs to pretend that another district nearby has gone to shit and we can faintly hear their district broadcasts.

If johnny rebel killed 3 CPs and caused the district to go fractured it doesn't mean dispatch should be doing:
city speakers broadcast: 1 rebel in community
when jimmy jones in the cwu is at district 1 packing my bi-hourly ration pack at least 10km away from my district
it's an unnecessary escalation and makes the player feel like gordon freeman when they're being called out like anti-citizen one throughout the ENTIRE city for a quick shotcop

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seperation doesn't negatively affect the control or impact of dispatch on the server at all, in-fact I would argue it improves both and creates opportunity. GMs and staff have a habit of instantly causing the WHOLE city to go to shit when fractured or judgement waiver is called for a district incident (i'm guilty of this) and I believe seperation may assist better in handling post-fuckery CvRs.



I feel like this goes against the Combine doctrine of punishing everyone for the actions of average rebel.

I can see uses where a district wide announcement could be used, for example, requesting someone to come to Nexus, standard announcements, but ALL INCURSIONS should be city-wide, not only to allow the rebel groups to know when someone did something, but so they know when to start the crime timer :angrycop:


And anyways, the boundaries to trigger fractured code and judgement waiver are so high that they deserve to be city-wide.

Anyhow, I don't see how this suggestion could be implemented if we are going to Terminal-7, which is nowhere near the size of a city from what I know.
 
I feel like this goes against the Combine doctrine of punishing everyone for the actions of average rebel.

I can see uses where a district wide announcement could be used, for example, requesting someone to come to Nexus, standard announcements, but ALL INCURSIONS should be city-wide, not only to allow the rebel groups to know when someone did something, but so they know when to start the crime timer :angrycop:


And anyways, the boundaries to trigger fractured code and judgement waiver are so high that they deserve to be city-wide.

Anyhow, I don't see how this suggestion could be implemented if we are going to Terminal-7, which is nowhere near the size of a city from what I know.

Wdym city wide for crime timer? District announcements will be map-wide regardless. They will know when to start the timer.

The combine gets constantly attacked, like in half life 2 and half life alyx; literally in the introductionary scenes. Dispatch always announces it locally, the only time it was city wide was when multiple districts started rebelling.

Judgement waiver was also broadcasted locally in hl2, it doesn’t have to be city-wide and neither does fractured code.

I don’t think you read anything past the suggestion. 😭
 
Wdym city wide for crime timer? District announcements will be map-wide regardless. They will know when to start the timer.

The combine gets constantly attacked, like in half life 2 and half life alyx; literally in the introductionary scenes. Dispatch always announces it locally, the only time it was city wide was when multiple districts started rebelling.

Judgement waiver was also broadcasted locally in hl2, it doesn’t have to be city-wide and neither does fractured code.

I don’t think you read anything past the suggestion. 😭

I'm saddened that my light attempt at humour, (that being rebels constantly asking admins about crime timer and such) was ignored. [also for those rebels in outlands]

In half-life 2 and half-life alyx, We do not know which announcements are local and which are city wide, it's just speculation. Of course, it make more sense.

I don't, however believe that there should be two variants. It will rarely be used and it can always be inferred that every speaker in every district is broadcasting the same thing, but we wouldn't know. It wouldn't make sense to proclaim it as a city broadcast anyway, if only as an excuse for the citizens far away.

I don't think we should be comparing Willard Network's broadcasts to Half-life Two broadcasts, it usually ends up in confusion as Valve likely didn't care whether the speakers were city-wide or district-wide.

Not to mention- city speaker broadcasts would realistically rupture your eardrums to be loud enough for a citizen to hear, but that's a playful statement.

I think this suggestion is similar to my own types of suggestions, that being largely un-neccessary. The only thing I can see being implemented is the change from [DISPATCH BROADCASTS] to [The district speakers broadcasts].

Other examples of what it can be changed to would be similar to the MOE/CCA broadcasts, in which there's a blue text that pops up saying 'the speakers turn on' or some variant of that phrase.
 
I'm saddened that my light attempt at humour, (that being rebels constantly asking admins about crime timer and such) was ignored. [also for those rebels in outlands]

In half-life 2 and half-life alyx, We do not know which announcements are local and which are city wide, it's just speculation. Of course, it make more sense.

I don't, however believe that there should be two variants. It will rarely be used and it can always be inferred that every speaker in every district is broadcasting the same thing, but we wouldn't know. It wouldn't make sense to proclaim it as a city broadcast anyway, if only as an excuse for the citizens far away.

I don't think we should be comparing Willard Network's broadcasts to Half-life Two broadcasts, it usually ends up in confusion as Valve likely didn't care whether the speakers were city-wide or district-wide.

Not to mention- city speaker broadcasts would realistically rupture your eardrums to be loud enough for a citizen to hear, but that's a playful statement.

I think this suggestion is similar to my own types of suggestions, that being largely un-neccessary. The only thing I can see being implemented is the change from [DISPATCH BROADCASTS] to [The district speakers broadcasts].

Other examples of what it can be changed to would be similar to the MOE/CCA broadcasts, in which there's a blue text that pops up saying 'the speakers turn on' or some variant of that phrase.

Humour in a SERIOUS forum post is grounds for character PK, watch your back…
 
Humour in a SERIOUS forum post is grounds for character PK, watch your back…
Woah, that post you just made is humorus, you chose to brag and mock me for being non-serious in a non-serious manner while commenting on a serious non-serious serious issue, I'd like to let you know that 'playful' interaction on the Willard Networks Serious Half-life Two Roleplay Server is not endorsed or allowed on this community in any alteration nor in any altercation one may engage in on the social-media platform that the Willard Networks Serious Half-life Two roleplay community utilises for out-of-character management or community interaction. As such and due to the aforementioned breaking of these ground as I have layed them out I have been issued a doctrine by his excellency Civil Protection lead on the Willard Networks Serious Half-life Two roleplay server formerly occupied by Robert, Maroon and some other guy I forgor, Claptrap and other notable figures in the Willard Networks Serious half-life two roleplay server of which is a multi-faceted community with numerous seperate entities collectively owned by he whose name shalt not be mentioned, directed by the Scottish Salamander, laying claim to the Northen Highlands of Scotland in response to recent events conducted by the Federacy of the Benelux spearheaded by the Dutch members of the community who may or may not be high-ranking officals in the Willard Networks half-life two Serious roleplay community. Utilising the authority bestowed upon my mortal presence of which was gratified and endorsed by his majesty the seventh of the Salamanderic line of the Northern Highlands and the Farore islands, liege of the current english community presently hosted in Germany for the Willard Networks Half-life Two Serious roleplay community, I have deigned upon this wasteland of which may not be stained by your blasphemous sacreligous nonsensical suggestions that you are hereby prohibited from requesting to post suggestions on the Willard Networks Serious half-life two roleplay server community on the Forum panel of which is hosted by Xenforos or whatever the fuck it's called, managed by the Forum Developer on behalf of Willard Networks Serious half-life two roleplay hereby known as Count Lord Votton of southern Wales, bearer of the sacred goat horn of Willardia, spearheaded by his loyal acquiantance Hayden of which may or may not be on a leave of absence from the Willard networks Serious half-life two roleplay server. Please, Deverinity, esteemed member of the Creative Team of Willard Networks Serious Half-life Two Roleplay community to refrain from violating this doctrine as I mortal representative of the Mentor community of which soon to be revoked within a fourty-eight hour period of posting this response out of line due to a minor grammatical error I have made seventeen lies ago of which my role was bestowed upon my presence by Duke Shimac's Stew, managerial asset of the Shu'luathoi known as the Mentoric community of which the members occupying said position of reasonable notice would be the former member Marshall of whom was recently hired by his majesty Lord Seventh of his line Duke of Cutaatlia of Denmark and Schleswig Atle, of which I have made up several titles for yet refrained to post them here to prevent paragraph bloat. Ladies and Gentlemen of whom might've stumbled upon this absolutely neanderthalic schizopost, use this as a reminder that I have no social skills what so ever, this massive paragraph, of which likely consists of over seven hundred words, was typed throughout the span of ten-minutes with my mind running ramptant to create and indoctrinate as many tangent and topic changes as possible. All hail, praise be.

Tl;dr... Mald, Seethe, Cope.
 
Mhm, sure I guess.

I will consider this alongside other Dispatch changes.

Accepted, implementation TBD.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top