Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

i recently tried c24v1

Joined
Jul 31, 2021
Messages
32
its better
its sooo much better.

c24v4 fucking sucks. why did they shrink triumph. what the fuck.
each map update JUST makes the map SMALLER AND SMALLER
i am still here, if u know you know

how is willard?
i feel as if willard is the highest possible form of rp, as if it doesnt get better then this in any form.
this is a serious discussion, i genuinely wanna hear thought.
 

Attachments

  • YOUARESLEEPING.png
    YOUARESLEEPING.png
    982.8 KB · Views: 6
visually and as a map yes.

on a server? rp might as well be like i am legend
The charm of big HL2RP maps. Isolation is intentional :^)
Honestly, big maps can be handled quiet well if staff and faction members have the energy to engage with the populace VIA events or apartment sweeps on a near constant basis.
Big + Busy = nice. Big + Slow = dead. So long as it's all accessible and it's not all done behind ICly locked hidden doors.

Though it takes a dedicated management team to make it work, let alone work well. Unfortunately at that point it becomes a chore.
 
This is actually an issue we had on Shockcore when we were using City 18 v2, especially in terms of map size. During times when there were a bit of a lull or people of a certain faction weren't really about, the gaps between people and RP was massive. And that might not seem like a massive issue at first, but you gotta think a little deeper about how roleplay starts, develops, transforms, and ends.

It made like, zero sense to just walk by people who were in conversation or stop near them for any reason if they were in a huge area, it was basically you broadcasting 'hey im here now to join even though i haven't said anything'. Some people get unnerved by this, some people dont like being that person that sorta just walks up to people. Another issue was that MPF pretty much.... Well, it was a massive fucking map, and while most of the activity centers on the central square, anything not there was pretty wonky. They'd walk in circles once or twice, sit on the slum gate, or just sit in the Nexus and somehow get lost, understandably so. We only used that central square, and the rest of the city was literally just relegated to the slums.

The Nexus was needlessly large. And I mean needlessly large. It had no right to be that huge. And for the amount of RP that actually happened in there, it was always so spread out and sporadic that there really was.... Things got pretty cliquey, pretty much.

I like small. Small is fun, compact and active. It can be a little annoying when we all get stuck in the shelter, but thats because it wasn't designed to be an RP area and yet its super high foottraffic. But having all those people RP there is really fun to me.
 
Last edited:
I think the lack of actual shop areas and places to interact is really annoying. Like it's 90% slums with a load more access points that is a waste to use, it was easier using just one or two of them tbh. I wanna set up a full blown shop not some shitty stool while these big boys own the entire enterprise of business. No restauranty places anymore either sadge
 
I'm gonnae put something into perspective. Willard V1 had used City24_v2, and even THAT was too huge for a really big playerbase that we had back then.

Neb used City24_v1 when it first arrived and even with 100 people it felt barebone empty. This is a story that was repeated over a period of time with different servers using it. Take what you will with that information at the very least. Though it acts as a really phenomenal demo for pushing the source engine to its absolute limits (and beyond) on one map.

V3 sort of fixed that issue but the problem was that the slums were sort of, well, tiny and every access point was a linear line. But I miss the park from it, the park was everything special.
 
its better
its sooo much better.

c24v4 fucking sucks. why did they shrink triumph. what the fuck.
each map update JUST makes the map SMALLER AND SMALLER
i am still here, if u know you know

how is willard?
i feel as if willard is the highest possible form of rp, as if it doesnt get better then this in any form.
this is a serious discussion, i genuinely wanna hear thought.
pov: You didn't play Willard v1

It was empty streets, taking a painful amount of time to get from one area to another. The huge park was never used, the streets were never used by vehicles, there was no central plaza area to do plaza-y stuff, and it just took too long to do anything. It didn't work well at all on a 72-player server. You'd need at least a fairly consistent 128 players to make it work, but I'd argue that's not even enough. The only thing I prefer is some areas of the underground.

The one part of v4 that I would say is inferior to other versions is the fact that Triumph is a little small. I did feel like triumph had a good size to it in v3, and I feel like incorporating the new, highly vertical slums alley more (to make it like the backalley stores in City 8, if you know what I mean) would've been a good choice.
If the slums alley area could be made into its own street, I think that'd improve how the map plays.
Blue = Triumph (or, at least, part of the city)
Orange = Indigent/CZ
1650462074481.png
 
Last edited:
while there are a ton of problems with v1, I still have a ton of fond memories from it because it was my first hl2 rp map

I remember the giant holographic bridge always being locked off so you couldn't reach the rebel side of the map, I went under the bridge and navigated tons of hopper mines only to get to the other end and find that the pipe leading into the sewers was blocked off, I later came back with a few other citizens and I boosted them over the wall so they could tell me what was on the other half of the city, It was amazing.

I also loved the willard industries lab with the big vats of green goo, I wish we had one of those in the BRI, I would love to throw people in for some whacky experiment.
 
C24 V1, despite obstensively being built for Neb, wasn't actually created with the feedback of the community it was made for in mind like the way ya'll have gotten V3/V4.

Playtesters and staff alike noticed the flaws and pointed them out (like the unnecessary size and scale) but Atle was more interested in making the map as he saw it, which is fair enough.
 
Back
Top