Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How does dying work exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounter

Active member
Joined
May 9, 2022
Messages
356
So hi, I'm new here but also, asking a question.

Now, before you tell me to "check the guide" I did, and it doesn't help because it is quite cryptic and doesn't explain as to what NLR does. And while it shows that NLR is a thing, there are also Perm-kills and they seem to be the only form there is. I lost 2 characters, and I expected to be respawned, only to be unable to use them again, which is odd because I've heard they are removed or banned only when player dies while "minging" and such, which I don't think I was doing (does being a dick to CPs (they deserve it) count? If so then I guess?).

So, back to the main question, how does dying work, and why does it seem to be only perm-death?
 
You really would have to go to the PK ruleset to get the full set of scenarios as its pretty big and recently got bigger. It depends on a lot of factors, including internal circumstances, faction etc. It is generally too much to explain without missing something.

At the core of different types of characters ends, there are the following:

PK (Permanent Kill): PK's are when a character is dead. Completely and entirely dead. They are banned from play and considered by everyone to have been killed, if they should know about it. They never come back and remain as naught but a memory. (You can still get them back if you submit a PK Appeal, though this should only be done if something went majorly wrong OOC to cause the death.)

NLR (New Life Rule): NLR is a bit weirder. It basically means that when you die, your characters respawns. The death that occurred regarding your character is simply considered to have been 'some guy.' A faceless, nameless, unimportant rando who knows nobody, and did nothing. A placeholder who exists to plug the hole your characters death put in the common narrative. Your character does not remember anything leading up to their "death", and simply continues to exist as if it never happened. (This is how it is generally, it can honestly vary)

NLR + refund: Same as NLR, but you get all items you had on you at the time of your "death".
 
You really would have to go to the PK ruleset to get the full set of scenarios as its pretty big and recently got bigger. It depends on a lot of factors, including internal circumstances, faction etc. It is generally too much to explain without missing something.

At the core of different types of characters ends, there are the following:

PK (Permanent Kill): PK's are when a character is dead. Completely and entirely dead. They are banned from play and considered by everyone to have been killed, if they should know about it. They never come back and remain as naught but a memory. (You can still get them back if you submit a PK Appeal, though this should only be done if something went majorly wrong OOC to cause the death.)

NLR (New Life Rule): NLR is a bit weirder. It basically means that when you die, your characters respawns. The death that occurred regarding your character is simply considered to have been 'some guy.' A faceless, nameless, unimportant rando who knows nobody, and did nothing. A placeholder who exists to plug the hole your characters death put in the common narrative. Your character does not remember anything leading up to their "death", and simply continues to exist as if it never happened. (This is how it is generally, it can honestly vary)

NLR + refund: Same as NLR, but you get all items you had on you at the time of your "death".
Thank you very much! While two times I died it makes sense for PK I still can't tell the difference between if NLR even exists, everyone I know who plays on Willard always gets PK'd even if it should have been NLR? And when I respawned today, my character respawned normally and got banned like 3 seconds ago, so that's confusing.

Also might be just me, but PK is kind of going overboard, I get it it's serious RP, but then people are confused why not many people play on Willard :/
 
PK's make sense, you fucked up your char is gone. NLR's in my opinion should rarely even if at all be dished out.

But hey, that's comming from me, a HL2RP veteran. I feel that the seriousness of HL2RP has already faded over the years.
 
Thank you very much! While two times I died it makes sense for PK I still can't tell the difference between if NLR even exists, everyone I know who plays on Willard always gets PK'd even if it should have been NLR? And when I respawned today, my character respawned normally and got banned like 3 seconds ago, so that's confusing.

Also might be just me, but PK is kind of going overboard, I get it it's serious RP, but then people are confused why not many people play on Willard :/
Hey Bounter,

I don't know the context of your PK, but essentially an NLR tends to only happen if game mechanics are broken or let's say a player PKd you but the reason behind it wasn't valid. PKs otherwise tend to happen for mostly anything else such as amputation, somebody else killing you for a valid reason, or getting killed in the sewers by an NPC as it's a danger zone like Wilderness in Runescape. The PK system isn't for everybody but it's something you'll experience when playing in Serious roleplaying servers on Garry's Mod or potentially other games as well, closer comparison to PK would essentially be dying in real life where you cease to exist. Other players can retain the knowledge of your character but you start a new life, so essentially you can shape a new story for your new character.

Outside of that if believe a PK reason was invalid then there's a dedicated section on the forum to appeal it. Gr4ss is our PK manager essentially who would be the most unbiased party when dealing with the PKs as he purely works with the information given and the guidelines written by him, he has no affiliation either with factions or similar which could cause influence.
 
PK's make sense, you fucked up your char is gone. NLR's in my opinion should rarely even if at all be dished out.

But hey, that's comming from me, a HL2RP veteran. I feel that the seriousness of HL2RP has already faded over the years.
It still is shit, in my eyes, I played on many HL2RP places, and PK never existed, so maybe I am just not used to it.
But I bet you if it didnt exist, player numbers would increase.
 
It still is shit, in my eyes, I played on many HL2RP places, and PK never existed, so maybe I am just not used to it.
But I bet you if it didnt exist, player numbers would increase.
I assume with many HL2RP places you mean semi-serious or DarkRP derived variants of HL2RP, which is fine.

However, this is a SeriousRP settings and PK's are commonplace, I myself have never not seen PK's on a SeriousRP setting for HL2RP.
 
I assume with many HL2RP places you mean semi-serious or DarkRP derived variants of HL2RP, which is fine.

However, this is a SeriousRP settings and PK's are commonplace, I myself have never not seen PK's on a SeriousRP setting for HL2RP.
I guess we played different Serious servers then, or maybe somehow avoided it.
Either way it screws over groups and such, and People who you know, want to be a single character. What is so wrong with it?
 
I guess we played different Serious servers then, or maybe somehow avoided it.
Either way it screws over groups and such, and People who you know, want to be a single character. What is so wrong with it?
I have two Characters, Haruto Ito and my CP Officer... both have not died since I started playing Willard. How? I'm smart with how I play, I know what to do to not get shot by some rebel or a CP
 
(does being a dick to CPs (they deserve it) count? If so then I guess?).
I am only gonne tell you once more to cut this out.
I also want you to stop discussing this as I discussed it with you already. Hit me up on Discord if I was being too vague, but stop starting this discussion.
 
It still is shit, in my eyes, I played on many HL2RP places, and PK never existed, so maybe I am just not used to it.
I can tell you don't have that many years of HL2RP under your belt, because if you did, you wouldn't say that. Most major servers I played on (Neb, LP, EarthFall, SCG, GridHive etc.) all had PKs for conventional deaths and rules for them, and NLRs only applied in special scenarios that wouldn't otherwise justify a PK.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top