Welcome to Willard Networks!

Experience a next-level Half-Life 2 Roleplay experience. Taking inspiration from games such as Divinity Original Sin and Xcom 2. Featuring a completely overhauled combat system, gameplay and UI.

CFLU - FEEDBACK DAY I

Cengiz

Admin
Staff Member
Admin
Creative Team
Day I - Feedback time

Please follow this simple Format

What did you like ?

What didn't you like?

a running simulator

also, the exit we all had left through had a text saying it had been blocked off earlier, but then it was removed and passable when event char led us to it

Last edited:
I enjoyed it for the most part, though by the end it just felt like a confusing game of cat and mouse where you run from the OTA and chopper without the goal being wholly obvious other then just "Survive", wasn't all that crazy about that. I really enjoyed the start though, where things were calm and quiet and you didn't really know what to expect, felt actually tense rather then later where I didn't know where to go. The locations are also heinously dark and I don't have a flashlight, so like half of the map is just unnavigable for me.

Good event I had a lot of fun, the other Vortigaunts were really fun to play with had some good moments only thing that I did not like was the minge ass hunter running back and forth unrealistically shooting at us all while doing so.

I feel like where you're supposed to go is really just one path, I can obviously only speak for myself, but others might agree. It's better to have multiple paths and exits, it promotes variety and allows everyone to tell a different story once it ends.

What did you like ?

Vort gang exploration was good. We bonded, had a few run ins with people and it was quite intriguing. Music was good, and the start filled in the tensive atmosphere. The encounters with the Combine Soldiers were a tense situation. The effects of the continual worsening weather proved that we did have to find a direct course of action to pursue. My Vort gang was amazing, loved them all.

What didn't you like?

I do apologise for stating this, but there was no objective. We ran around constantly for ages and every area we found was empty. We went to the Combine area to vault over the walls and got attacked by a Hunter treating the encounter like a CS:GO match. There could have been better ways to say "do no go this way" than that. Anything involving hunters took the fun out of it. There was also a headcrab RPing with us and while that's nice and all, that's one GM taking away from the experience of the event over a headcrab encountered with a Vort tribe and a bullsquid.

Please. Please. Please. Make an objective and other patterns on the event. Otherwise we wasted two hours and a half hours running around for no reason.

Love how we separated into groups at the end, each with their own home for the blizzard. Not being able to kill a hunter as a group of vorts with a bullsquid was kinda meh, didn't need to give yourself 10k hp imho. A bit too much running around without a clear objective (I have three braincells okay?) but in the end, we did manage to gather up where we were needed. I have never encountered any infected so that's weird but it might have been thanks to our advanced gigavortbrain tactics of avoiding literally everyone except for vortigaunts. Overall so far solid 7/10. Felt more like a Combine Escape campaign rather than infection one.

Also check out this dope vort shelter we constructed out of house props - which group has it better and cozier, eh?

4fmJxwW.png

vortalhome.png

I'm enjoying the event so far-personally. The atmosphere is fantastic, however...

For what I don't like, there isn't much opportunity to passive. Which, apparently a lot of people are allergic too. Secondly, I wish there was more alternatives then just what we've been presented with. We were completely lost with no goals until we ended up playing follow the event character. The thing we needed to get the bomb from *didnt* even have any form of "hey this is important", not even a scenetext.

Cool concept
Had fun interacting with other players.

I did not find a single interactable set piece or lore peice ( big downside )
Searched atleast 7 buildings, mostly empty, barely even propped.
Survival is a good motivator however if your only goal is survival then you might aswell hide away from everyone and stay in a home (boring no RP)

There was no goal, nothing much to discuss, the only thing was wondering were to go next.
Event char forcing players down a set path, this is bad for player agency, a guardian angel with an orange name comes to save the day and help everyone (boring game of follow the leader ensues)

How you get infected is really skipped over and you just magically arrive with the virus.

Got infected despite having hazmat suit
Infected others despite having hazmat suit
If you argue I got the infection before finding the suit, then you can't spread it to others, since meeting these people was done super recently and not when i found the suit icly and it would be contained within the suit.
I felt con'd by the point system because of this. Getting infected whilst having a hazzy suit makes the suit useless.
Snuck into a bush, likely admins knew me and my buddy where there, OTA patrolled around the bush and went close, trying probably to spot us or bait us in some way.

When that didn't work and we agreed to wait in the bush untill the combine went out onto a patroll, they spawned a strider which somehow imediatly spotted us, and seemed only to exist to get us spotted, The strider got me killed and then ceased to exist from what I know.
If you're going to have a strider protecting this base, you should make it visible and clear at all times, it should not be just spawned in when someone gets too close. as that breaks immersion heavily, if you want a strider there it should be commited to staying there, not spawned in and despawn willy nilly. If i saw from a distance they had a strider, I serious would not have even went close.

not to mention the base despite being a fully operational combine outpost had litterally nothing inside, I mean why create such an enticing target if you won't get anything in return for either sneaking past the combine or killing them.
out of all the location i explored only a single location had zombies, i mean in a world were you are trying to sell the idea that a virus has spread, and yet you only find zombies in a location near a combine outpost, seems very strange.

No Scripts (low priority issue)

Background lore props or set pieces.
More player agency.
A mystery to unfold.
A story to follow.

More zombies in a place overun with a virus (mostly normal zombies/fast zombies, poisons should be a rareity as usual)
For example, there could have been set peices with an interconnected story that also unfolds a mystery to the players, and teaches them about the place they are and give them goals/hints towards where to go to find more info ect, this would mean the actual players could remove the need for event characters as these set peices or story would give the players a goal and a hint towards the means to acheive that goal, again without the need for the allknowing event char to reduce the immersion.

When i mention a "set piece" i refer to an object that has text on or attached to it to enable a player to realise they may interact with it, this also includes notes, papers, diaries ect.
Perhaps also give different groups different objectives other than survive and don't get infected.
you could even give infected playersa goal to work towards, possibly a cure for their illness, whether that cure is real or not doesn't matter, it is a very good motivation for an infected character and makes sense.
honestly one idea could be there is a secret lab and all the infected are rounded up into a room which promises to cure the infected, but instead actually rapidly advances and forwards the disease to an advanced level turn all those inside into vicous killing machines, clawing at the door to be let out and kill or infect the uninfected.

Perhaps an Urban map may have been better for this setting.

Honestly with this event i really loved the idea and i was super excited to play the event.
I think this event has a lot of untouched potential and that is could have been so much more with just a different perspective.
Despite the cons listed I will say that from my interactions with other plays I did still have fun and I hope i've been critical and constructive because i really do wish this feedback could improve future events.
If you have any criticisms of my feedback please respond to my message and point out anything, I like to see feedback and to improve from it.

Last edited:
I liked wandering around with people, and the group dynamics were interesting, that and the setting and idea by themselves were really good.

Downsides is there wasn’t a lot of enemies to fight, which considering the area is supposed to have most of its inhabitants killed by a virus you’d think you’d find more wildlife living around the area (I only saw zombies in 2 areas, which was the extent of the NPC’s I saw, weird that there weren’t any like, houndeyes or anything, it’s not like it’s a zombie virus) so really the only threat was eachother and the combine, who I only heard, and didn’t actually see. There also wasn’t a very clear goal besides “survive” or “escape” the latter of which wasn’t really elaborated upon until a randomly appearing event character led the group I was in to an exit.

I liked the group dynamics and general setting of the place.

However, I didn't like how empty it all felt. There was hardly any proper scenes (propping wise) with lore snippets and etc. It felt like it was much more reliant on "walk here, avoid OTA". Even though it's a plague-stricken area it felt too barren, devoid of any wildlife (like said above) and areas to make it feel like people once lived here. Stuff like toppled Combine barricades, suitcases strewn about by refugees, and corpses would've done wonders.

what did you like: event was very fun with a buddy / while being in a group, good idea and pretty good execution in my opinion.

what did you dislike: bandits were gone so there was no threat to the loners except for synths and ota, loot was only placed at the start of the event and never again, some locations were filled with zombies, but after spending dozens of bullets clearing the location, there would be no loot or reward, virus message also appeared to people in hazmat suits and people who logically shouldnt have been infected.

Back