Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Implemented Forum Suggestion - Improving Biographies & Notice Board

Kamilisha Haijulikani

Tenzhen
ENG
Server Management
GALUNGA
Protector
Staff Team
Joined
Dec 18, 2020
Messages
929
THE IDEA
Similar to the current presentation of the Groups page, I think it would be aesthetically nifty if the biography & notice board categories were to imitate its style. Note that these are purely complementary additions, meaning they'll exist alongside the current version of Character Biographies & Notice Board, not replace or usurp. For example, if none of the proposed changes particularly fit your character, you can still post your biography to the "general" (current) category for biographies.​

1732338210995.png​


This style of categorization and formatting is pretty cool! I'm honestly impressed that it isn't applied anywhere else on the forums. So, let's include it elsewhere, then. My suggestion consists on expanding this style of formatting and categorization to the Character Biographies and Notice Board categories in addition to the current Groups one.​
​
An example of how this might look can be seen in this mockup below:
​

Cropped.png​


Now, interestingly, some people have already used prefixes or descriptors in their threads to differentiate their faction/status before. With this style of formatting, this looks much better than simple prefixes, imo, and opens up the way for players to, if they so desire, identify themselves with the box they feel most appropriate to their character.​

​
PROS & CONS
Fortunately, there are no cons*. This is purely an aesthetic change that, in addition to its cool looks, helps distinguish characters more as well as increase their navigation.

Now, for those who fret over the possibility of metagame, that is a non-existent factor. Essentially, biographies have always come with the risk that people privy to your biography's information might metagame and use that information to influence factors in character and in-game. That's an immutable fact, and it happens already.

Fortunately, biographies are completely optional, and whatever information is contained within them is completely subjective to the writer's wishes, making that risk factor completely optional. Suppose somebody doesn't want to categorize their character in one sub-section, perfectly alright. If somebody wants to make it explicit that they're an essential figure or loyalist and are not afraid to tout it, that's fine, too.

Personally, the coolness factor alone outweighs any potential for ne'er-do-wells who, at the very least, can associate with your character's faction without taking the extra minute to sift through that publicly listed information on your biography.
​


Lastly, here's an example of how the Notice Board can also follow suit in embracing this design:
​

Example2.png


This has been my QoL suggestion for the forums— QoL in that its completely unnecessary but very nice to envision and have. That is all, thank you!​
 
Last edited:
I’m down, but with the caveat that I’d add Citizen Biographies as well, or something akin to it in wording. I’m somewhat against putting characters into abstract boxes like “Loyalist” or “Rebel” when many characters tiptoe on both sides of the spectrum, or even neither, so it feels wrong to label them in that way.

Of course, if they want to, sure, go ahead, but it shouldn’t be required.
 
I’m down, but with the caveat that I’d add Citizen Biographies as well, or something akin to it in wording. I’m somewhat against putting characters into abstract boxes like “Loyalist” or “Rebel” when many characters tiptoe on both sides of the spectrum, or even neither, so it feels wrong to label them in that way.

Of course, if they want to, sure, go ahead, but it shouldn’t be required.
everything outside of these categories would qualify as the "citizen biographies" or really any biography that doesn't fit in any of the above proposed categories (like a houndeye biography, for example). instead, these proposed categories would exist alongside the current category, giving players the option to use them if they so desire, but it is by no means enforced.

for example, anyone, like a CP, can just opt out of putting their bio in any of the biographies. just suggesting there be cool options 4 players to do this if they desire
 
everything outside of these categories are the "citizen biographies," or any biography that don't fit in the norm. im not advocating 4 restricting biographies into these categories but simply adding them so ppl, if they like, can choose to put their biography into one of these pre-made categories.

for example, anyone, like a CP, can just opt out of putting their bio in any of the biographies. just suggesting there be cool options 4 players to do this if they desire
Then that is fine. I was operating under the assumption that this would replace the regular “open” section, and have that be reserved for informational threads/templates.

This way is fine though. I see no issues with implementing it in this format, but I will leave this thread for a bit to garner additional feedback and maybe some improvements if people spot them.
 
Then that is fine. I was operating under the assumption that this would replace the regular “open” section, and have that be reserved for informational threads/templates.

This way is fine though. I see no issues with implementing it in this format, but I will leave this thread for a bit to garner additional feedback and maybe some improvements if people spot them.
yep. all it does is complement the existing section. it serves to add greater options, not to remove or replace the prior one.
 
You see, your biography is under the "rebel" section, therefor I am going to KILL you.
 
about to implement a forum visual upgrade soon so this is perfecto
 
Back
Top