Welcome to Willard Networks!

Experience a next-level Half-Life 2 Roleplay experience. Taking inspiration from games such as Divinity Original Sin and Xcom 2. Featuring a completely overhauled combat system, gameplay and UI.

LOST COAST (19/06/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FungletheBungle

Catholic
Content Creator
Hello, Willard Networks!
Welcome to the brand spanking new season of Short Stories! Moving away from the lengthy style of event that was The Long Haul, we have organized a series of shorter, more tightly spun events. The first of which will be

THE DARK COAST

Where else better to start a story then at the beginning, this event will tell the tale of a flight knocked both out of the air, and out of the old world. Everything is unknown, everything is dangerous and survival is not guaranteed.

Have you always wanted to take part the start of the half life series from a new perspective?

Are you ready to crash headfirst into the series of events that created the twisted world of Half Life?

Flight BA229 took off from Glasgow at 3PM GMT, heading towards New York. Less then two hours later it would land in the freezing waters off the coast of Scotland, where those that survived must partake in a grueling haul for survival across the island, as they slowly realize the situation they have found themselves in.

What happened?
Will they survive?
Why isn't anyone coming to save them?

Come join us to find out.

How can I take part?
In this thread you can post your character. As with all short stories there will be limitations on what characters you can play. In this case, since it's so early in the Half Life timeline the minimum age will be 18. Other restrictions are as such
-No Military characters, this is a group of civilians
-No Characters that work for Black Mesa, Aperture or any other company central to the Half life shared universe (companies such as Northern Petrol are fine)
-In the same vein as the first, no Characters with professional weapon handling skills, you may put down shooting as a hobby in the application, but there may be a chance that it is declined.

Also note that there is a 20 PLAYER LIMIT.

Apart from that you should know that the event starts on a flight from GLA (Glasgow) to EWR (New York), with some of the passengers fining themselves on layover from London (cheaper tickets).

What can I expect?
Unlike the Long Haul, this event will be much, much shorter. Being able to be completed in a single weekend. The combat in this event is minimal, so don't sign up thinking you'll have a story involving your character facing off against the unending hordes of Xen and coming out on top. In the event you get into a fight, you have a very high chance of getting killed, owing to the fact that the world is still soft and safe, so too will your character have to reflect that.

Tell me more!
This is only the beginning in a long line of event stories. Most of which will have a lore impact on the world (assume it will unless stated otherwise). In the case of this event we promise you a slow burning, narrative driven and possible phycological horror based event!

We can also tell you the date is SATURDAY 19th, so now you have that to look forward to before the Beta.

________________________________________________________________________________________

CHARACTER FORMAT

The * symbol represents a required filling, below.
Please DO NOT put your answers in bold, as to make the entry easier to read. Failure to do so will only result in me angrily staring at you from across the screen.
Post in this thread
We have a few fishermen already, not that you can't be one, just perhaps think of branching out so its not fish-con2001
That's 4 fishermen, no more.

--- Section One ---

• *Steam Name:
  • *Steam ID:
  • *Discord Name & ID:
  • *Timezone:
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name:
  • *Brief summary of the character:
  • *Why do you want to play this character?:
  • Full Backstory (Optional):
--- Section Three (Optional) ---
  • Tell us about yourself:
  • Are you new to Willard Networks?:
  • Are you familiar with anyone around Willard Networks?:
  • What's your favourite thing about Half Life?:

If there are any questions, please feel free to contact us and we hope to see you there!

Last edited:
--- Section One ---
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Jerry Mackenzie

• *Brief summary of the character: An Eastern-born Scot residing from Aberdeen, born in March of 1982 and raised within the urban city itself with a small family dedicated to running a prospering yet local fishing company. Jerry is your typical everyday individual who merely wishes to succeed in the life path he has chosen, often sticking close by to those that can help him gain better opportunity and fulfilling enjoyment in life. He doesn't travel much, though he seeks an opportunity to gain himself a much needed and short holiday rest to the States. This is especially obvious given the needed trip planned through to New York where the great Liberty Island resides. Unknowingly, this action will alter his life as he has no idea what horrors lay in wait for the future to reveal.

• *Why do you want to play this character?: A Difference. Knowing me, I'd prefer to go in from the ground up this time, residing from a player's perspective. I've been running events for a long time to the point that I don't exactly properly take part and seeing Dark Coast, I'd like to take part as an ordinary dude.

• Full Backstory (Optional): I'll pass on this for now - considering the event itself will only run for a weekend.

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: araskes
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:512655607
  • *Discord Name & ID: araskes#2639
  • *Timezone: GMT
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Steve Thompson
  • *Brief summary of the character: A retired detective constable from the suburbs of London.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: Never rped as an ex detective before, willing to give it a shot and see how it goes.
  • Full Backstory (Optional): N/A
  • Tell us about yourself: My name is araskes and I've been in the hl2rp community a little over a year now.
  • Are you new to Willard Networks?: almost in here a year now.
  • Are you familiar with anyone around Willard Networks?: Most people.
  • What's your favourite thing about Half Life?: The world, pretty much.

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: Hajimaan
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:56371521
  • *Discord Name & ID: Knackebrod #0241
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Jase Junkkanen
  • *Brief summary of the character: A 20 year old nordish male caught in the disaster on his employer funded plane ride towards a work meeting in central New York. Junkkanen is a single man working in "Nordiwood" a lucrative wood refinement company.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: I've never played in the short stories before, there is no particular reason why I wish to play as this character other than to see where things go. What I can manage out with this character...
  • Full Backstory (Optional): -

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: AdamCF
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:111349071
  • *Discord Name & ID: AdamCF#3066
  • *Timezone: British
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Andrew Marsden
  • *Brief summary of the character: Andy is a 59 year old farmer born west of Glastonbury in 1942, with the majority of his limited wealth coming from livestock. He has limited experience shooting foxes and rabbits with an old double-barrel shotgun.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: Most of my characters are the usual 23 year old Americans, so I thought it might be nice to have someone who's a little less able to help out as much.

--- Section One ---
--- Section Two ---
  • mikesheehan.png
  • (Photograph of Sheehan, 1989)
  • *Character Name: Michael "Mike" Sheehan
  • *Brief summary of the character: A middle-aged lad coming from the coastal town of Dingle in Western Ireland, he spent all his early years working as a fisherman. Catching fish in the waters of the Dingle Peninsula. Mike is a rather sweet fella, he is soft-spoken and amiable with most people. But if you were to ever provoke him, pray to the Lord that he doesn't knock your lights out. He often got pissed drinking booze with his lads at the local pub, like a good Irishman. For every year, Mike would travel over to America to visit distant family, first stopping in Scotland and then taking a flight from Glasgow to New York. When visiting, he sometimes like to take some of his family out fishing.
  • However, with this trip to America, his life would change much without even knowing it before hand.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: I have always wanted to play the part of an old Irish fisherman. But with the setting of the main server I don't know if I could make him that. But since the Lost Coast setting takes place in Scotland, I thought it'll be perfect for me to play as Mike. Plus I have never played on any of the Short Stories events before so I thought I'd try this one out.
  • Full Backstory (Optional): (I'll pass on this one as well since I'll only be playing Mike for a weekend.)

Last edited:
--- Section One ---

• *Steam Name: A.T.P Engineer
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:105057779
  • *Discord Name & ID: ATP Engineer#0890
  • *Timezone: EST
--- Section Two ---

• *Character Name: Connor O'Cathain
  • *Brief summary of the character: North Atlantic fisherman
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: To fit the scenario respectively, as well as more in depth gameplay around fishing/other stuff
  • Full Backstory (Optional): (Simplified because of how short the event is) Irish Canadian who seems to have gotten on the wrong flight on his return to North America, but that simply doesn't matter, considering there would be nothing to return to soon.

• Tell us about yourself:
  • Are you new to Willard Networks?: No
  • Are you familiar with anyone around Willard Networks?: A good few
  • What's your favourite thing about Half Life?: Deep lore.

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: Robert
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:36030793
  • *Discord Name & ID: Robert#1349
  • *Timezone: BST
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Jerry Willson
  • *Brief summary of the character: A rather old fashioned fellow coming from his coastal home in the UK ready to set out on holiday to find new fishing spots. He has all of his trusty fishing tools that he could ever need along with his posh British accent to charm the waters... at least that is what he thinks. He is quite the friendly and jolly ol' folk and loves to chat with his others who enjoy the admirable profession of fishing.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: Thought I'd take part in the first SS event not run by me or the usual group so here I am.
  • Full Backstory (Optional): Might leave this out for now... but it's full of a tale of fish, British stuff, tea and plenty of old fashioned stuff. A rather refined gentleman who loves his fish just like how he loves his women... which he doesn't have.

bqft9hZ.jpg

The Rickster. The Trickster. Ricky Griffon.

Survivor of Y.2.K and the end of the world.

Went all in several companies. Lost a great deal of it in the Dot Com Bubble.

Now C.O.O of a (new) start up in New York City that will not go the same way as the old company.

Coming back from a business trip in Scotland. Looking forward to the IPOD release this Fall.

Fearful of an upcoming recession (he's reading about it.)

Armed with an M.P.3 player and several hundred songs (wowzer!)

--- Section One ---

• *Steam Name: Merlinsclaw​
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:63717084​
  • *Discord Name & ID: Merlinsclaw#1751​
  • *Timezone: EST​
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: See above.​
  • *Brief summary of the character: See above.​
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: Average guy on an average flight. Shouldn't be overly spectacular. It'll be interesting.​
  • Full Backstory (Optional): N/A​

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: Waco Joe, FBI
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:525144524
  • *Discord Name & ID: Pawlu#2089
  • *Timezone: GMT+1
--- Section Two ---

4-24_1.jpg

• *Character Name: Connah Morgan
  • *Brief summary of the character: A disgruntled, arrogant and unreasonable businessman.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: I decided I wanted to try out SS so I'm gonna start off with a simple yuppie char.
  • Full Backstory (Optional): A middle-aged Bostonian man going on business trips to hopefully get himself in a big position in a company... Let's just say that didn't go so well for him and he's returning from Munich to Boston in a very agitated and disgruntled state.

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: Oi Susy!
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14434287
  • *Discord Name & ID: Oi Susy!#8157
  • *Timezone: GMT +3
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Minami Rischa
  • *Brief summary of the character: A chill, a bit eccentric black woman, who likes dresses, who was returning from the business trip to Scotland and who still hangs on the pills to fight the problems with her sleeping schedules.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: I want to try the unusual characters, seeing how well they fit the universe, especially during the distress times. Besides, I liked the concept of shortstories, so why not? Besides, the first woman character.
  • Full Backstory (Optional): I'll better let the backstory to be revealed through the roleplay with others.

--- Section One ---

*Steam Name: Daniel Error 410

*Steam ID: (Can't get it atmo)

*Discord Name & ID:
Hiros#4906

*Timezone: GMT +2

--- Section Two ---

*Character Name: Ilya Kos

*Brief summary of the character: A casual business man connected too much to the Technology. Ilya spends most of his time on phone ignoring other feelings, he is selfish and ignorant, some even call him stubborn.

Ilya works for the Russian power plant as a head engineer currently traveling to America to meet with American CEO of the biggest power plant.

*Why do you want to play this character?: I want to try play some really stupid and ignorant character that has little to no willingnes to cooperate with others.

--- Section One ---

• Steam Name: LeGashrod
  • Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:78970033
  • Discord Name & ID: LeGashrod#3027
  • Timezone: GMT +2
--- Section Two ---

• Character Name: Victor Ducreux
  • Brief summary of the character: He is a young man in his twenties that left his home in France to travel and discover the world. His first stop was sctoland where he stayed for 2 weeks discovering the true Scotish way of life. He then booked a flight on the BA229 to New York for the next stop of his trip but.. It seems that it did not end well for him and the rest of the passengers..
  • Why do you want to play this character?: Because I think that it can be interesting to see characters from different regions of the world interact with eatch other in this crisis
--- Section Three ---

• Tell us about yourself: I'm LeGashrod, I have more than 2000 hours on french roleplay servers and want to try out a different kind of roleplay by playing on english speaking servers
  • Are you new to Willard Networks?: Yes
  • Are you familiar with anyone around Willard Networks?: I discovered willard network thanks to mendelvius's video but except that i don't know anyone
  • What's your favourite thing about Half Life?: I don't really have one favorite thing about Half Life, it's the universe as a whole that I like

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: J.D. "Rookie"
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:139631753
  • *Discord Name & ID: brush him#9578
  • *Timezone: Mountain Timezone
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Parker Brooks
  • *Brief summary of the character: A relatively young car mechanic caught on the wrong flight at the wrong time, facing terrible odds in a terrible situation. A bit pudgy, not particularly fit, and not experienced in hand to hand combat, but as someone raised in the South, you can bet he at least knows how to shoot a pistol, if nothing else.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: It's a completely new character, almost entirely fresh, unlike Jacob. This character brings a new flavor to my style of HL2RP - an absolutely 100% regular man who fixed cars for a living before the plane crash.
  • Full Backstory (Optional): Parker Brooks, born to William "Billy" Brooks, and an Annie Brooks. Born in Georgia roughly twenty-one years before the start of the War, Brooks grew up with a fascination for two things- food and cars. When the time came for him to choose a career path, he landed, and has kept, his first job as an auto-repair man, working under the wing of his father to tinker and fix up cars on behalf of the little company his father had started.
The skill has proven its use. In tight situations, Parker has always found himself able to figure out how mechanics work and how to get them to STAY that way. He also knows how to reverse engineer an unfamiliar engine, just to kinda get a sense of how it functions - but his covert skills end there. Getting on a plane to visit his distant grandmother abroad, Parker expected to visit her, stay with her in perhaps her final days, and then return home to be a wrench jockey yet again.

Parker has been wrong before. The worst thing that could happen on this trip is if the plane crashed, which is incredibly unlikely...

• Tell us about yourself: I'm Darlaimerner, also known as brush him, named after that one meme where the cat is getting brushed with a toothbrush. Most members of the community are aware of me because I constantly talk about how grunts are a perfect addition to the Half-Life lore, and I will fight to the death to prove such a pointless point. I enjoy roleplaying, which is shocking, since I'm on a roleplay server.
  • Are you new to Willard Networks?: No.
  • Are you familiar with anyone around Willard Networks?: I know everyone who exists and some people who don't exist, like Mullin or Pawlu.
  • What's your favourite thing about Half Life?: It's still relevant and you can still find things to talk about after all these years. This is because Half-Life is ripe with mystery and ambiguity, and is consistently mysterious as more installments come out and more details are revealed.

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: Sneaky
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:461485607
  • *Discord Name & ID: Sneaky#6368
  • *Timezone: GMT+ 4:30
--- Section Two ---
  • 139511131510592459871454 3.jpg
  • *Character Name: Arash Kasravi
  • *Brief summary of the character: Arash Kasravi is an Iranian middle aged Immigrant of Scotland,He owns a Carpet shop at Edinburgh.He's currently travelling to America to visits his family as he does it usually once every year.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: The role play scenario of this event seems interesting to me and as myself am Iranian I can see a connection between me and my character so i would be able to RP more accurate.

Last edited:
--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: Pineapple
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:44282504
  • *Discord Name & ID: Pineapple
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Maxim Drozdov
  • *Brief summary of the character: Drozdov is a ruthless Russian businessman seeking to secure a lucrative business deal with Northern Petrol. After a connecting flight to Glasgow, he boards Flight BA229...
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: I thoroughly enjoyed playing the original Long Haul event chain, and would quite like to participate in another Short Story. I'm currently dry on character ideas, so I wrote this one up quickly for a character I played on Willard V1.

--- Section One ---

• *Steam Name: Fiery
  • *Steam ID: 76561198120414264
  • *Discord Name & ID: Fiery#1260
  • *Timezone: Mountain Standard Time (MST)
--- Section Two ---

• *Character Name: Xavier Mattheus
  • *Brief summary of the character: Doctor Xavier Mattheus is a very determined, ambitious, and cold scientist with questionable morality. He studied biology and computer science during his time at Harvard University. His appearance consists of brown skin, slightly greying black hair, hazel eyes, and a scruffy beard and mustache.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: I feel like it'd be fun to play a cold, but efficient scientist. It would especially interesting to me to play a character with questionable morality like his since he's willing to do anything to get what he wants to be done. I've never done a character like this before which also makes me want to play him.
  • Full Backstory (Optional):

Xavier Mattheus was born in 1954 in Worcester, Massachusetts to Sofía Mattheus, a nurse, and Zakia Mattheus, a lawyer. His childhood was very normal, although his parents did not have much time for him whether it be for playtime or education. Since his parents were too busy to assist him in his schooling he had to learn on his own and focus almost specifically on school. This major focus on education had many positive and negative effects on him. He has more trouble with sensitive sides of human interaction, although he is very direct when it is on the subject of business. This negative side to his social life had bad effects on his morality especially with toxic personalities like bullies due to the fact of being harassed by those types of personalities during his childhood.

When Xavier Mattheus reached the age of nineteen years old he started college at Harvard University where he studied Biology and Computer Science. He continued his education for six years until he reached twenty-five gaining a bachelor's degree in computer science and a master's degree in biology. Nothing very notable happened in his college years, but when he reached twenty-five and was ready to get a job something at least notable did happen. Xavier could not get a consistent job in the areas around Massachusetts. It was always a job that lasted three months to six months and very oddly nine months or a year due to the fact that the company he was working for always wanted him to move somewhere else to work. He did this until he was forty-three years old and his parents died in a car crash leaving him their possessions, although this inheritance wouldn't be able to last him very long, only five to seven years.

He was still working odd jobs for four years, but he got a recent request from a company that could provide a consistent job, although it was across the sea located in Portree, Scotland. He traveled to New York and managed to gain a trip to Glasgow, Scotland then take a hired ride to Portree to talk about the job offer which he accepted during the interview. He then traveled back to Glasgow in his hired ride and took a flight back to EWR to try and retrieve his possession for moving, but his arrival is delayed by an unfortunate event we all know.

• Tell us about yourself: I used to be a leader of a group on impulse, and I'm here now since I don't care to play on impulse anymore.
  • Are you new to Willard Networks?: Kinda, but kinda not. I'm new as in I've played in the last chapter of the last short story as a Vortigaunt, and I also messed around in the beta a bit.
  • Are you familiar with anyone around Willard Networks?: Goose, Pawlu, and a few other people from impulse.
  • What's your favourite thing about Half Life?: The atmosphere, lore, and story. It combines to make a beautiful run-down post-apocalyptic vibe which I absolutely adore.

Created in-absence of TitanTango

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name: TitanTango
  • *Steam ID: N/A
  • *Discord Name & ID: Titan Tango
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Xavier R. Letholdus
  • *Brief summary of the character: Elegant, Royal, someone who speaks like nobility. He’s a male from the UK. Specifically Manchester. But, don’t let him fool you. He’s built like a brute, and not exactly the most kind to stuck-up rejects. Xavier is an actor, charismatic and has the body for it. The reason for the urgent travel to New York was a close call change in work, where he would take the chance to make it big. And possibly be in a blockbuster movie. Though the plane had other plans.

--- Section One ---
  • *Steam Name:Zakke01
  • *Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:48171741
  • *Discord Name & ID: zakke02#9939
  • *Timezone: GMT+2
--- Section Two ---
  • *Character Name: Hugo East
  • *Brief summary of the character: He is careless and finds joy in other people suffering, he does however find no intent on being violent himself to pursue. Rather a dark humored guy who just like being present.
  • *Why do you want to play this character?: I've often played as a character who like helping people, this time i will not help and reap on the consequences.
  • Tell us about yourself: I am Zakke01 and i have played hl2rp since 2013. I like dystopian themed hl2rp and have been known as a well known CWU director main.
  • Are you new to Willard Networks?: I have been here for around a month
  • Are you familiar with anyone around Willard Networks?: Multiple people, such as Takyon and Sanslover.
  • What's your favourite thing about Half Life?: Combine being parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back