Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Implemented /low, talking gets you killed.

Taliazure

Radio Bob Approved
Joined
Oct 17, 2021
Messages
457

Suggestion for a New Command: /low

Currently, when we need to discuss sensitive matters within a room, using the standard talking range often results in our conversation being overheard by people in adjacent rooms or even above us. This was particularly evident in the City 8 map, where I could hear CPs talking on the street while I was inside my base. On the other hand, the /w whisper command is sometimes impractical due to the number of people present and the necessity for close proximity, which can lead to awkward situations where players have to climb on top of each other to hear.

So we introduce a /low command, which would provide a talking range that is greater than a whisper but less than the normal talking range. This would allow for more private conversations within a single room without the risk of being overheard by those in nearby spaces.

  • Facilitates more effective communication in crowded scenarios. (specially in large events where your chat is destroyed by people talking out loud)
  • Reduces the likelihood of important conversations being unintentionally overheard.
Thank you for considering this suggestion. I believe it would significantly improve the gameplay experience for everyone involved.


 
Code:
local PLUGIN = PLUGIN

PLUGIN.name = "Low Command"
PLUGIN.author = "George"
PLUGIN.description = "Adds a low command for muttering."

ix.chat.Register("l", {
    format = "%s whispers \"%s\"",
    GetColor = function(self, speaker, text)
    local color = ix.chat.classes.ic:GetColor(speaker, text)

     -- Make the low chat slightly darker than IC chat.
    return Color(color.r - 15, color.g - 15, color.b - 15)
    end,
    CanHear = ix.config.Get("chatRange", 280) * 0.75,
    prefix = {"/L", "/Low"},
    description = "@cmdLow",
    indicator = "chatLow"
    chatLow = "Muttering..."
})

Pretty half baked and untested but you shouldn't need much more than this
 
Last edited:
It is not intended for someone to hear through great distances, for example the Schmein Unit to the Sewers on i17 along the footsteps on the metal grate, in fact all Civil Protection player I've seen or played with have ignored it along myself.

It sounds like a good suggestion though I wouldn't really rely on having to make it, rather I would focus on fixing the fact that you can listen to convos through walls since it's not intended
 
It is not intended for someone to hear through great distances, for example the Schmein Unit to the Sewers on i17 along the footsteps on the metal grate, in fact all Civil Protection player I've seen or played with have ignored it along myself.

It sounds like a good suggestion though I wouldn't really rely on having to make it, rather I would focus on fixing the fact that you can listen to convos through walls since it's not intended
Sadly I think that would be far more complicated given well.. Source and Helix, we know well this will lead to some weird bugs or moments where for some reason people can't hear you due to some map issue or something.
It's why it's better to go with smaller fixes like the one I proposed, less coding, less buggy and pretty much resolve the issue.

However this is my opinion, i'm not a Lua or Wn dev, so don't take my word for it. Just speaking out of what i've seen so far.
 
this would be amazing, especially if we could get a /melow version as well.

the /me range is at least (1.5x) that of the normal talk range, and whenever we RP in the clinic we can see rp from the floor down and it kinda kills the vibe (and comprehensiveness) of RP
 
Could just increase the whisper range? /low to me just seems like a bloat fix for an edge case scenario.
 
Ahh, the old original post.

As I said in Curbalas' latest suggestion of the same, I've ACCEPTED this and will be working on it for the new few days.
 
Back
Top