Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Implemented Make Vortigaunts Normal Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHotGinger

The Owl
GALUNGA
Joined
Sep 25, 2020
Messages
852
Sort of a copy of my previous suggestion but figured I may as well post this, as it is a bit of weird reality Vorts face, even worse than the human populace has been suffering from ever since the start of Willard...

Gigantism.

I don't know who had the idea to make Vortigaunts hulking beasts of mayhem, but there is nothing, ever, in any Half Life product that suggests Vortigaunts are capable of reaching the insane heights many do. In the games Vorts barely reach Gordon, if at all, and he is presumed to be 6'2.

6'11 is the max height you can go and it is frankly insane. Most doorframes alone are typically only around 6'6 ft tall. It should be lowered to like 6'6 at most. (I may suggest even going to 6'4 personally, as 6'6 gives me PTSD) Vorts who already have insane heights can be left alone, but I see no reason to carry this weird aspect of them further beyond. If vorts do want to be unnaturally tall, there is always the option for them to make auths

Before anyone tries to counter with the arguments 'They have different colored eyes/skin though, and that was never in canon.'

Those are 100% entirely cosmetic changes that do not effect how you interact with them in any way. Height is not comparable to what is essentially a Vortigaunts hair color. Those are also useful for distinguishing between Vortigaunts, something height does not do as the mechanical effect is so limited. Furthermore, these extreme heights are also rarely RP'ed out, so it really is just a weird inconsistency 90% of the time.

That is all gamers. :blanky:
 
Should throw a poll on this to see what the community thinks.
 
While I agree that most vortigaunts that I saw are 6'11 (including myself lol) I don't think it's that big of a deal. I've never encountered a case in which someone would react negatively to it ICly. I did however, seen some people (humans of course) go ahead with things like: /me looks up to match the vortigaunt's eye level, then squeezes their stunstick and in the most intimidating voice he can muster goes [...]) Which I think makes some encounters more interesting rather than unrealistic. I personally like the idea of voritgaunts being a little taller than humans, in my opinion it marks their alien nature. Then again, if you don't want to be so tall just pick a lower height. The closest I can relate and agree in the original idea is that a lot of vorts for some reason are as tall as you can be which kind of makes this gargantuan idea a little less intimidating. My character for example used to be from a hunter tribe, thus in a natural way had more muscle mass in order to do more advanced physical tasks. A good topic to bring up though, I'll wait for other people's opinions.
 
Last edited:
While I agree that most vortigaunts that I saw are 6'11 (including myself lol) I don't think it's that big of a deal. I've never encountered a case in which someone would react negatively to it ICly. I did however, seen some people (humans of course) go ahead with things like: /me looks up to match the vortigaunt's eye level, then squeezes their stunstick and in the most intimidating voice he can muster goes [...]) Which I think makes some encounters more interesting rather than unrealistic. I personally like the idea of voritgaunts being a little taller than humans, in my opinion it marks their alien nature. Then again, if you don't want to be so tall just pick a lower height. The closest I can relate and agree in the original idea is that a lot of vorts for some reason are as tall as you can be which kind of makes this gargantuan idea a little less intimidating. My character for example used to be from a hunter tribe, thus in a natural way had more muscle mass in order to do more advanced physical tasks. A good topic to bring up though, I'll wait for other people's opinions.
By this logic they may as well be smaller than humans, to distinguish their alien nature. Besides the height, they look fairly alien already, I don't think it needs to be distinguished anymore than it already is - them being shades of green and looking like a weird mixture of Shrek and Quasimodo.

On the topic of the Vorts height, while I support the idea/suggestion, I don't *really* mind if they are taller or smaller. My only gripe is that if they are taller then they need to remember that, that doesn't automatically make them immoveable mountains or otherwise have an ungodly amount of strentgh. Those attributes doesn't correlate to height and for all we know Vortigaunts may be physically weaker than humans or perhaps their anatomy does not allow for great stability, etc.
The reason I use this example in particular is based on personal experience with a Vort that thought themselves to be immoveable purely based on their size - this goes for citizens as well, it's not an exclusively Vort problem - it's the players mindset in general. As soon as they smack the slider against its upper boundary they seem to think that it automatically grants them immeasurable strength that they can powergame through with.
No. Please, no. Remember the core principles of RP and don't always account to fancy attribute rolls and other weighted RnD.

Peace up, a-town down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top