Welcome to Willard Networks!

Experience a next-level Half-Life 2 Roleplay experience. Taking inspiration from games such as Divinity Original Sin and Xcom 2. Featuring a completely overhauled combat system, gameplay and UI.

MURDER AT THE OCCIDENTAL - Feedback

Quest

Radio Bob Approved

Thank you to everyone who took part in this event. I would first like to apologize for the pacing, as I know a lot of people left because of the lack of action. Motives were just not being acted, and that's of no fault of anyone's as many people's own sub-narratives didn't plan out exactly due to some people not showing.

Other than that I'd like to hear your feedback or see any pictures taken.

20231124155557_1.jpg20231124154137_1.jpg20231124143618_1.jpg20231124130612_1.jpg20231124121040_1.jpg20231124120932_1.jpg20231124120036_1.jpg20231124115357_1.jpg20231124115322_1.jpg20231124115310_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20231123163139_1.jpg
    20231123163139_1.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 4
Certainly not the worst short story event I've attended though like you've already mentioned, pacing was kind of iffy, moreso because during that downtime there wasn't a whole lot to do other then chat with other people which isn't necessarily bad but it can be a very slow way to get the ball rolling, especially if there's nothing really compelling people to speak to one another. Once things did start going down it was pretty alright though almost too rushed, though I assume that was because people were going absolutely crazy with things. Guy gets shot, all of a sudden everyone is trying to murder one another and the building is on fire. Ending was also especially weird, didn't mind dying just was weird that the US army is suddenly there and they're just shooting civilians with seemingly next-to-no reason, delving into the trope of army is evil without much reason actually communicated to the player.

Otherwise, was fun. I enjoyed myself. Alessio likes men. Would love to RP as a corpse being pecked at by a pigeon that shit is heat /srs
1700873370403.png1700873387962.png

Certainly not the worst short story event I've attended though like you've already mentioned, pacing was kind of iffy, moreso because during that downtime there wasn't a whole lot to do other then chat with other people which isn't necessarily bad but it can be a very slow way to get the ball rolling, especially if there's nothing really compelling people to speak to one another. Once things did start going down it was pretty alright though almost too rushed, though I assume that was because people were going absolutely crazy with things. Guy gets shot, all of a sudden everyone is trying to murder one another and the building is on fire. Ending was also especially weird, didn't mind dying just was weird that the US army is suddenly there and they're just shooting civilians with seemingly next-to-no reason, delving into the trope of army is evil without much reason actually communicated to the player.

Otherwise, was fun. I enjoyed myself. Alessio likes men. Would love to RP as a corpse being pecked at by a pigeon that shit is heat /srs
View attachment 28397View attachment 28398
There was a whole sub-plot with Lewis Roberts (the WW2 ex-Admiral). He called in the helicopter with his one-time-use radio which brought a coup-loyalist helicopter to the Occidental to extract him (Roberts was going to create a Military Coup against the government). It doesn't make sense to anyone who wasn't a part of his plot, I should've made that clear but I was juggling a lot in this event. As for the killing yeah, it was kind of rushed, but I couldn't let all of you leave without a hitch. That's what that 20 roll was.

This event was great. Although, i think it couldve had a little stayed a bit longer in the works so that the pacing and the general story couldve been improved. other then that, it was still incredibly fun. Defently was worth it for my first SS. And, Ofcourse it was fun to be the ( planned ) Murderer at the Occidental.
Wish i had recorded it...
20231124222746_1.jpg

I'll be boring and bullet-point it otherwise I'll write a wall of text and no one wants that:

The Good

- Lovely setting, it felt like an alive hotel with all the guests present.
- The storm raging outside was ever-present- kept you worrying about the eventual catch-up it'd do.
- Everyone had their own sub-stories and motives, everyone was doing something which made the bore-creep not happen, atleast for me.

The Bad

- Lack of music in suspenseful/action scenes, the sound of snow can only pull me in so far.
- The map wasn't exactly made for such a bigger-scale whodunnit scenario in-mind, perhaps a more fitting one could've been found?

The Ugly

I will write a small wall of text here because I can't bullet-point it and it's my main grievance. I'll first make it clear this isn't entirely the fault of the event-managers, it was advertised as an event driven by player-choice and action. That being side, I personally signed up for a 'whodunnit, murder-mystery' scenario where you have to collect evidence and then collectively pin the murder on someone. Instead what we got was the below:

1700873749618-png.28400

I wish everyone involved had a lot more restraint in their action, especially not immediately going for the kill on folks and setting the entire setting of the roleplay up in flames. Soured me of the event overall to have it end in such bloodshed when it should have been a suspenseful thriller of mystery and intrigue. Perhaps some interference from the event-managers could've taken place once the actual murder had occurred, thus dragging everyone into a mystery-solving mindset instead of 'let's kill everyone'.

Attachments

• 1700873749618.png
    1700873749618.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
This event was great. Although, i think it couldve had a little stayed a bit longer in the works so that the pacing and the general story couldve been improved. other then that, it was still incredibly fun. Defently was worth it for my first SS. And, Ofcourse it was fun to be the ( planned ) Murderer at the Occidental.

View attachment 28401
What's funny is that there were actually other murderers too that had planned objectives, however, they didn't show. So good job on being the main murderer.

Personally, I quite liked the event. I think the pacing at the end was a little off, but that's also because everyone's stories all popped off at the exact same time. I like the fact everyone immediately split off and did their own RP, as my character would just show up places and barely talk, causing him to be kind of suspicious as a whole, despite not doing anything wrong. I also liked the aliens in my head who kept trying to tell me different things and make me think I'm a drunkard. Overall, the event was fun, any negatives to it are easily fixable, and the freedom players had to lead their own stories was something we genuinely need to see more of.

Also, the aliens are real, and I kind of implied Nazis were in antarctica with alien-weaponry (also implied we already dealt with them (Operation Highjump)).
20231124173823_1-jpg.28402

Attachments

• 20231124173823_1.jpg
    20231124173823_1.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 5
What's funny is that there were actually other murderers too that had planned objectives, however, they didn't show. So good job on being the main murderer.
i had presumed that would've been the case, honestly

I'll be boring and bullet-point it otherwise I'll write a wall of text and no one wants that:

The Good

- Lovely setting, it felt like an alive hotel with all the guests present.
- The storm raging outside was ever-present- kept you worrying about the eventual catch-up it'd do.
- Everyone had their own sub-stories and motives, everyone was doing something which made the bore-creep not happen, atleast for me.

The Bad

- Lack of music in suspenseful/action scenes, the sound of snow can only pull me in so far.
- The map wasn't exactly made for such a bigger-scale whodunnit scenario in-mind, perhaps a more fitting one could've been found?

The Ugly

I will write a small wall of text here because I can't bullet-point it and it's my main grievance. I'll first make it clear this isn't entirely the fault of the event-managers, it was advertised as an event driven by player-choice and action. That being side, I personally signed up for a 'whodunnit, murder-mystery' scenario where you have to collect evidence and then collectively pin the murder on someone. Instead what we got was the below:

1700873749618-png.28400

I wish everyone involved had a lot more restraint in their action, especially not immediately going for the kill on folks and setting the entire setting of the roleplay up in flames. Soured me of the event overall to have it end in such bloodshed when it should have been a suspenseful thriller of mystery and intrigue. Perhaps some interference from the event-managers could've taken place once the actual murder had occurred, thus dragging everyone into a mystery-solving mindset instead of 'let's kill everyone'.
To achieve this I should've kept the event capped at a certain player limit, focusing on the Detective side of the story. It turned out to be chaotic, which I didn't exactly plan for, but I adapted.

Personally, I quite liked the event. I think the pacing at the end was a little off, but that's also because everyone's stories all popped off at the exact same time. I like the fact everyone immediately split off and did their own RP, as my character would just show up places and barely talk, causing him to be kind of suspicious as a whole, despite not doing anything wrong. I also liked the aliens in my head who kept trying to tell me different things and make me think I'm a drunkard. Overall, the event was fun, any negatives to it are easily fixable, and the freedom players had to lead their own stories was something we genuinely need to see more of.

Also, the aliens are real, and I kind of implied Nazis were in antarctica with alien-weaponry (also implied we already dealt with them (Operation Highjump)).
i was gonna reference Nazis in Antarctica because otto had former SS and gestapo connections in the war, too bad we didnt interact too much. i wish i could've expanded on that area in general.

That's really funny. Thanks to @thejanitor413 for the Alien.

i was gonna reference Nazis in Antarctica because otto had former SS and gestapo connections in the war, too bad we didnt interact too much. i wish i could've expanded on that area in general.
Sorry our only interaction was me killing you, lmao.

Stole a million dollars of jewelry and money and split it 50/50 with a homeless burglar and then went on to murder and escape the burning building with him 10/10 event tbh

I was the detective. I left midway through, as I think my attention span went out of the building, but I had a fun event none the less. My only complaint that there was too many people but a great event

6/10

+ Personal motives are good for setting things off

+ Interesting setting

+ Weapons around the buildings gave the event an extra layer of depth.

+ Chaotic yet natural ending

- Didn't really feel like a murder mystery event as advertised, made worse by the presence of more out-there ideas such as aliens or the US military, but primarily because a general lack of IC structure that makes a murder mystery a murder mystery, making it more like a gauntlet for survival.

- Slow pace.

- S2RP was laboured and disorganised.

- Map wasn't great. Both a very basic layout and also really terrible lighting (after the event finished my eyes actually started hurting because of how bright it was)

- The darkness element didn't get across very well, mainly because it wasn't actually dark. As a rule of thumb, if you find yourself constantly having to remind your players of something, you've made a mistake.

- The environment felt very strange. Freezing to death despite being next to a building that's burning to the ground, plus the lack of any form of external support that it feels like a place where rich people go would have.

- Evil Military at the end felt odd, at least from my end. Given I wasn't involved in their part of the story, this may have had a legitimate explanation, but from my end it wasn't clear that there was any exterior motives, and it was just a sort of final culling of the survivors for the sake of it, which wasn't a great end to the event.

- Fuck you Riley I don't like men I'm heterosexual. Glad you died bitch.

Back