Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Book Interface

Lost Coast Chanties

Radio Bob Approved
Joined
May 26, 2022
Messages
1,110

For those unaware, Books have a limit of two pages. Needless to say, it isn't a lot to work with, it limits the amount of information you can write down massively. This essentially means that you have to keep buying books to write anything long form (i.e. a story or an updated IC journal).​

20240130002343_1.jpg
(This is the most you can put on there without the writing going out of bounds)​

There were a few old suggestions to increase the count, but that was apparently deemed impossible. So, here's someone else's idea that I totally stole.

Basically, instead of putting the text on the book, overlay it with an F1-style menu that will allow you to write a lot more stuff in.​

Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Cripps_Letter.png
(For illustrative purposes)​

Q: "Won't it mess with the illiterate system?"
A: Uh, that's a good point, actually... Fortunately, nobody ever uses it. Well, probably nobody uses it. I mean, not like anybody sells Reading Audiobooks anyway...

Q: "Will this new interface extend to paper and notepads?"
A: Well I dunno. Maybe? I mean, notepads are useless anyway when paper exists. If you're extending it to them, might as well try to make a smaller character limit or something.

Q: "Are you sure this isn't an issue of characters being limited to save performance or et cetera?"
A: Uh... I mean, it might be. F1 menu also has a character limit. Then again, it doesn't need to be endless. In fact, it can be the very same character limit size it is right now, just that with the new menu it'll be actually visible, instead of it going out of page bounds like it does right now.

Q: "You do know that you can scroll on books, right?"
A: Yeah, but who the hell scrolls a book page? Most of the time you don't even know there's stuff below, and when you want to read it, you have to highlight the text and move your mouse downwards to reach it. It's so guh, that we might as well change it, you know?

 
(mobile editing is garbage excuse the broken list)
Additional:
  • - What is the importance of choosing what font you're reading in game when most everything else in the form of text and media is pre-ordained. If a new system breaks it, I personally wouldn't consider it a great loss.

  • - What, really, is the point of the literacy system. Is there an assumption that schooling never happened? I'm more confused and clueless about it lorewise than critical, lmk.
- If you're inclined to overhaul the writing systems items, consider:
- Paper: one page, uneditable
- Notepad: 2x page by default (reflected in crafting recipe). Potential to combine it with more paper item in inventory to extend length in increments of 2x page. Editable after completion.
- Book: unlimited(?) pages, with page numbers once past the first page. No scrolling. Minecraft-book-type character limit. Uneditable once complete.
- I'm unaware if there are other items because I don't use them. Hence, what is the purpose of them in game? I recall an ink pad or something similar? (Pins can stay.)
- Some way to display the html of the online newspaper bulletins would be cool.

I understand this is wishful thinking and probably nothing new to players here. I've looked at some of the other book suggestion posts, and while they've been denied, I don't know if it's because increasing page length, or what.

Either way! I intend this as additions I feel I would enjoy, but not at the sake of performance or staff development time. They have been denied before, so I only intend this as feedback.
 
I just foresee a problem where you give somebody something to read, and they forget to read the rest of the pages.
Then you have to remind them to flick to the second page.
 
i can get with this. ive wanted more pages to write in since early 2022 when i had started a journal.
 
I just foresee a problem where you give somebody something to read, and they forget to read the rest of the pages.
Then you have to remind them to flick to the second page.
i don't know if i've rly encountered that problem in other media!
like, if there's this big dramatic swoosh arrow on the right side of the book UI, it would afford turning the pages.
i automatically assumed the books we have in-game had multiple pages and tried clicking everything to figure out how to do so.
(there's this weird visual thing at the bottom left that looks like 'I I I I I I I I' which i thought was like an index?)
regardless! reading is optional anyway. like skyrim lore books.
 
I just foresee a problem where you give somebody something to read, and they forget to read the rest of the pages.
Then you have to remind them to flick to the second page.
This is why I'm suggesting a new interface sir... There won't be any pages to flick.
 
I've changed my mind, I actually think this is a swell addition and would benefit the server by allowing people to create more in-depth books.

As for having stuff on the forums instead, I think that can make it a bit hard to find at times if you don't know specifically what you're looking for, and it's cooler if it's IC strictly-IC... buuut I don't know the system backend limitations of the gamemode.
 
I recall the reason more pages weren't added is due to performance issues or something
 
Small idea but it would change a lot. And at the same time, it would be nice if it came into effect. Countertops in stores wouldn't be cluttered with books.
:yudodis:
 
Declined

Moving this to declined since its been in the backlog for too long, if it hasn't been picked up by now then we're likely not able to prioritize it. Feel Free to re-suggest it in the future!
 
Back
Top