Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

No scanners in the sewers

Sagsworth

Radio Bob Approved
Joined
Sep 21, 2020
Messages
275
For some reason scanners have been allowed to go underground to tag rebels/vortigaunts, I think this is pretty silly. We're told that the Union never aggresses, and then they send a scanner underground which if it sees any rebels/a vortigaunt guarantees a full-strength sweep.
 
I dont know why there is any Combine presence in the sewers aside from their entry point. The whole idea is that its a lawless and abandoned location. The danger isnt supposed to be the Combine. Its supposed to be the Xenian threat, the spores/gas, and any other crazies who go down to do shit without a form of authority to stop them.
 
Why send scanners in the sewers? The combine should be happy the rebels are living down there instead of the surface. don't try to force them out, try to keep them in.
 
In my opinion having scanners in the sewers was always doggy I wouldn’t mind if they weren’t allowed down there anymore
 
Keep in mind that the scanner was there due to a workshift, but still.

This should be up to RL's; they authorize and deploy within these situations. This also allows for more roleplay avenues because a RL can decide for their squad to look away from things that they do not or have no incentive to fight; whereas the standard response of a Scanner unit is sacrifice code aka kill or die.
 
Just popping in since this was a workshift in the sewers that involved the participation of the CWU Director. We spent ages setting up and went down the elevator with CP all at once. Coming up on the Vortigaunt ourselves was pure chance. I'm fairly certain we arrived before the scanner could tag the Biotics, but I can't comment there. All I know is my priority citizen self was uncomfortably close to a dangerous scenario, which was entirely unintended.

It was pure circumstance that anything happened, not as a result of that scanner specifically.
 
Just popping in since this was a workshift in the sewers that involved the participation of the CWU Director. We spent ages setting up and went down the elevator with CP all at once. Coming up on the Vortigaunt ourselves was pure chance. I'm fairly certain we arrived before the scanner could tag the Biotics, but I can't comment there. All I know is my priority citizen myself was uncomfortably close to a dangerous scenario, which was entirely unintended.

It was pure circumstance that anything happened, not as a result of that scanner specifically.
This is cool! I'm not fussed about the specific situation that happened earlier, just the idea of scanners being underground in general is silly to me. I don't think it would've effected that fight at all.
 
Agreed. Let's send manhacks instead please.
Sending manhacks when you see rebels/vorts underground would be very cool, rather than immediately sending cops in - although I don't know if they work in TBC.
 
This is the first time I think a Scanner went down, and that was just to scout ahead for an ongoing workshift. The only times scanners head down is if CPs take one with them during a sweep or workshift as their little support bot to ensure their safe. I don't believe there is any reason to say no to them when its all pretty much IC decisions for good IC reasons.

Like scanners will not ever go down on their own, not without a sweep or workshift ongoing and that's about it. Apart from that, you never ever see them unless you are in the City.
 
This isn't the first time a scanner went down. However, they are only deployed to assist a sweep or a work shift, never alone.
 
I am the Scanner that went down there. So far I have entered sewers two times on my scanner. Both have been for the sole purpose of forward recon for the Protection-Teams that were escorting CWU Workshifts that contained vital personnel and/or equipment to restoring the CP-1 elevator. I don't know how exactly, but its generally pure bad luck to any party involved that the first time, my scanner saw a whole rebel group including 3 vorts (which caused a major sweep and/or fight), and the second time, I found two vorts who were there by chance and attempting to hide.

The most recent one being the second time I have entered resulted in the six-man PT being abruptly thrown into combat when my scanner took a picture of the two vorts in the room right next to them, which resulted in a TBC firefight.

As per the comments above, yes, we only enter the sewers when something important requires we do, such as CPs escorting CWU workshifts that seek to repair combine infrastructure. We do not enter frequently, nor are we meant to even enter at all under normal circumstances, and we definitely are not meant to enter sewers at random times and go "Oh, heres a random person I stumbled upon, marked anti-citizen or bol'd for 603!". Additionally, scanners are expendable, which eases the cause to send them into the sewers as they can be easily replaced.

I also agree with the manhack thing, but as far as I am aware, manhacks are broken and just fly to the roof or sky.
 
For some reason scanners have been allowed to go underground to tag rebels/vortigaunts, I think this is pretty silly. We're told that the Union never aggresses, and then they send a scanner underground which if it sees any rebels/a vortigaunt guarantees a full-strength sweep.
The scanner was there because we were already entering the sewers with the goal of leading a workshift team to the CP-1 elevator to continue repairs. Obviously scanners never go into the sewers randomly
 
The scanner was there because we were already entering the sewers with the goal of leading a workshift team to the CP-1 elevator to continue repairs. Obviously scanners never go into the sewers randomly
Maybe, but the scanner chased the surviving vortigaunt off after it died. I'm not talking about this specific situation though, I think scanners underground in general are silly and they don't need to be there. What happens is a scanner dies while surveying the underground? Major sweep, obviously. It messes up the balance we have of OTA/CP only sweeping when rebels aggress against them, but then a scanner goes underground and makes destroying it / fighting neccesary to survive.
 
Maybe, but the scanner chased the surviving vortigaunt off after it died. I'm not talking about this specific situation though, I think scanners underground in general are silly and they don't need to be there. What happens is a scanner dies while surveying the underground? Major sweep, obviously. It messes up the balance we have of OTA/CP only sweeping when rebels aggress against them, but then a scanner goes underground and makes destroying it / fighting neccesary to survive.
Okay... but scanners never go down unless there are already CPs/OTA on your ass. At that point they're just expendable early warning systems to scout ahead
 
Scanners don't go down there on their own only if they're required for a sweep or anything related

DENIED
 
Back
Top