Halostrophe
Member
- Joined
- Jul 29, 2025
- Messages
- 55
- Thread Author
- #1
WHO AM I?
An oppressor?
A human?
A misguided person?
An oppressor?
A human?
A misguided person?
It doesn't matter anyways, it's all down to your opinion on me. Though there's a degree of objective wrongness (I'll touch about that later) in my trade. It's still one that'll be talked about in the history books. That's even assuming we make it through the collapse of this alien society we've been engaged in for the past twenty years or so.
I'm QUICK-401, and this is my story.
I'm QUICK-401, and this is my story.

MY YOUTH IN BOSTON
Boston is a special place to me of-course, it's special because it was my home of course. It was a place where I belonged the most- my early years? I was like everybody else, no different- I was a boy then. I went to school like everyone else, I socialised like everyone else. I had hopes, dreams and aspirations (albeit childish as expected for my age) like everyone else. My family wasn't really wealthy- my father was your typical blue-collar worker (though I always suspected that he did more than actually be a 'blue-collar' worker, just like you- you're going to have to speculate with me). My mother? Typical house-wife, she took care of me and my brother. Us two? Little shits as one would expect, frustrating to work with- and a complete hassle. It was only when our father came back that we stopped misbehaving, as he was the only one that could truly put us down from the antics we got up to.
We used to go on outings together, festivals, theme parks. That sort of thing- it was affordable back in the day so we could enjoy... these were arguably my best memory of these times. It was complete joy and bliss- the worries of the world not put down to me at all. My early youth easily engaged in stupid shit, y'know? I was able to just be a kid. Nothing on my back but my education and that was it.
The universe decided that my first eleven-years of my life was going to be completely bliss-free. Nothing on my back, nothing burdened at all. It's a wicked and hateful world. As sometime in ol' 2001... something had to smack my knee very hard and slow down with openness...
A WORLD UPSIDE DOWN
So, like the large amount of other people. Which I'm glad this doesn't make us remotely unique- our world turned upside down. Something happened in New Mexico- something that a conspiracy theorist would have foamed at having heard- had provoked the planet to be in an open relationship with wild aliens that poured through various portal storms that shook us down. I was fortunate to live on the East Coast. As far as I know? The South-West and West Coast as a whole suffered the most.Naturally, as a child- I was scared. My father, and mother immediately were quick to enter a state of panic over what was coming. It all started from scepticism over events- particularly with the national emergency announced across the entire nation. Though when the first portal storm hit the East Coast? And various freakshows began to show? Yeah- it was a real wake-up call to 'em both.
Parasites, aliens that wanted to brutally murder you. All of these different things. My family was quickly ordered to move out from our houses to various refugee camps and sites that a lot of people were evacuated to. Locations of sorts which were only chosen because then- our beloved Armed Forces could easily consolidate themselves at these camps and ensure our security.
I recalled a lot. I saw death, misery and a bleakness to life which my younger self felt. There was no sensation of hope- it was simply constant movements. A foreshadowing of what the next twenty years of my life would entail. I won't bore you with semantics, metaphors and allegories of the level of this bleakness. Why should I? You experienced it the same way I did. We all share these experiences, no matter our differences.
It was also the moment where I took self-responsibility, especially over my little brother. My mother was a mental wreck, which my father had to console completely. She was detached, and fell under the mental scope of 'mentally unfit' as we'd clinically call it in this day and era. It devastated me seeing her like that, the same way for my father.
It's sad really.
I remember all the good times- and it hurt me back. The joy we all experienced, was a juxtaposition to our misery we experienced now. I felt completely responsible for my brother for this exact reason. He was much younger than me of course. That much is obvious- and my father was burdened to mandatory work which he had to participate in to keep our quarantine zone secure... alongside the mental wreck that was my mother really.
So- me being the gracious, big brother- I took charge. In the QZ, we spent the next three years in one place. It was boring, and it felt like a slow death. Schooling was limited- as humanity was being weeded out by what we call the xenian threat in this day and age. At home? I looked after both my mother, and younger brother. Any extra food? I looked for it- I stole, I looted, I even had to foster rodents for more fully bellies... hell I remember having us cook a headcrab one time.
It felt like three years of complete decay. Nothing much to live for. We were simply surviving. Though surviving was better than being dead. To which death was a prevalent theme of this new era we crossed upon. Fortunately, even at our lowest humans are fraternal to a certain extent. We weren't the only family suffering- there was others with us. Same blocks in the quarantine zone, we had a little community running. If some families were lacking their fill- we'd share what we could to help them out. I was close with someone my age. His name was Martin. Cool kid, cool guy. We hung around the block in our free time- and he'd help me scavenge for extra food and all that. Alongside stealing from some people- because me and him were the new little shits of town.
Humans were always fraternal, it was the only way we as a species could move ahead.
Though- some fraternal relationships are transactional. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Me and Martin? We were above that- because being a child- your fraternal nature is different than those as an adult.
I genuinely believe if all humans were as communal as one another as a child. The world would have been a utopia.

OUR WORLD FALLS
BUT THE UNIVERSE MOVES ON
I̵ ̵S̷A̴W̴ ̸H̷E̸L̴L̶
̷I̶ ̶T̵H̴O̸U̶G̵H̶T̶ ̷M̵Y̵S̵E̶L̴F̷ ̴U̸N̴L̵U̷C̵K̴Y̶
̶M̵Y̵ ̸M̷E̴M̵O̸R̴I̴E̷S̵?̴ ̵V̸I̶V̵I̶D̶
̷W̴H̵Y̴?̴ ̸T̶H̴E̷Y̶ ̷S̸T̷O̴L̶E̴ ̷I̴T̷ ̸F̵R̸O̸M̵ ̶M̷E̸
̶T̷H̶E̴Y̵ ̵R̸E̵W̵I̷R̵E̴D̵ ̷M̶Y̸ ̸B̶R̷A̷I̷N̵
̷T̴H̶E̷Y̷ ̴T̷U̴R̶N̵E̷D̸ ̷M̵E̷ ̶I̵N̶T̵O̵ ̸S̴O̷M̵E̶T̶H̴I̸N̵G̷ ̷I̶ ̵T̴R̴U̸L̸Y̴ ̵W̶A̴S̴ ̵N̷O̶T̵
̶D̸E̸A̴T̷H̸ ̷W̵A̴S̸ ̸A̵ ̵B̸E̵T̶T̸E̵R̴ ̷A̷L̴T̵E̷R̸N̶A̷T̶I̷V̶E̴ ̴T̵H̶A̵N̷ ̶M̴Y̵ ̸F̷U̶T̵U̵R̸E̴
I̷'̷M̴ ̸Q̴U̶I̸C̷K̴-̷4̵0̶1̷,̴ ̶A̵N̴D̶ ̸T̶H̶I̷S̴ ̴W̶A̴S̴ ̸M̵Y̷ ̴F̸U̵T̴U̶R̸E̷
BUT THE UNIVERSE MOVES ON
I̵ ̵S̷A̴W̴ ̸H̷E̸L̴L̶
̷I̶ ̶T̵H̴O̸U̶G̵H̶T̶ ̷M̵Y̵S̵E̶L̴F̷ ̴U̸N̴L̵U̷C̵K̴Y̶
̶M̵Y̵ ̸M̷E̴M̵O̸R̴I̴E̷S̵?̴ ̵V̸I̶V̵I̶D̶
̷W̴H̵Y̴?̴ ̸T̶H̴E̷Y̶ ̷S̸T̷O̴L̶E̴ ̷I̴T̷ ̸F̵R̸O̸M̵ ̶M̷E̸
̶T̷H̶E̴Y̵ ̵R̸E̵W̵I̷R̵E̴D̵ ̷M̶Y̸ ̸B̶R̷A̷I̷N̵
̷T̴H̶E̷Y̷ ̴T̷U̴R̶N̵E̷D̸ ̷M̵E̷ ̶I̵N̶T̵O̵ ̸S̴O̷M̵E̶T̶H̴I̸N̵G̷ ̷I̶ ̵T̴R̴U̸L̸Y̴ ̵W̶A̴S̴ ̵N̷O̶T̵
̶D̸E̸A̴T̷H̸ ̷W̵A̴S̸ ̸A̵ ̵B̸E̵T̶T̸E̵R̴ ̷A̷L̴T̵E̷R̸N̶A̷T̶I̷V̶E̴ ̴T̵H̶A̵N̷ ̶M̴Y̵ ̸F̷U̶T̵U̵R̸E̴
I̷'̷M̴ ̸Q̴U̶I̸C̷K̴-̷4̵0̶1̷,̴ ̶A̵N̴D̶ ̸T̶H̶I̷S̴ ̴W̶A̴S̴ ̸M̵Y̷ ̴F̸U̵T̴U̶R̸E̷

A BRAVE NEW WORLD
Everything changed.
We were ushered into an age we couldn't describe.
Some felt despair, some felt hope.
A teenager, an adolescent. I was still young- yet matured enough that my adaptation to this new world eased in. My academic performance meant a lot. I had no clue on what was ahead of me- or what the world outside of the facility looked like. I studied the two most useless subjects. Law and Criminology. What was the point of law? When everything was formed on the basis of oppression and identity extermination. That our human nature, which I see as fraternal was to be broken down? That no true bonds could have been formed?
It didn't matter- as I still tried to focus on the enjoyment of my life. Which I still had some left- Martin in particular was still with me... alongside my younger brother. Me and him were housed in the same block- though my younger brother was elsewhere. I rarely saw him. My father? He was in an urban location... or terminal then- I did not know. None of us knew- it wasn't relevant at all. My mother? Gone- I believe mercy came for her in this instance. It saw her muddled mind- and spared her of the misery to come.
IT WAS THE ONLY THING I THANKED THE UNIVERSE FOR.
SHE DID NOT HAVE THE HEART FOR THIS BRAVE NEW WORLD.
SHE DID NOT HAVE THE HEART FOR THIS BRAVE NEW WORLD.
A NEW TRADE
Cast aside everything that made us human.
Our job was to police the population.
No guilt, no hesitation.
Simply pure execution.
I spent the past ten years simply being a labourer- my education meant nothing. It only paved way into the realm of politics- though it bored me. Disinterested me- men of the old world leading the way for our supposed ascent. Though never could be united on a singular ideology. It wasn't as bad as Western Europe of the time- the supposed Sector Ten... but it was still bad enough in the American Front. This lifestyle wasn't for me- show up to work- finish my work- spend my credits. Repeat.Cast aside everything that made us human.
Our job was to police the population.
No guilt, no hesitation.
Simply pure execution.
My aspirations developed and grew- I lost contact with my family for a long time. I had no clue on where they were, or if they were alive... I was alone. It was the true moment of independence I had- and I asked myself? Was this what my mother wanted? Just like the quarantine zone? A slow- decrepit, decay? Simply surviving, without the joys of life enabling me to live.
My chance to be of value showed up when the Ministry of Civil Protection paved way for recruiting new officers. It was an offer I couldn't miss- the opportunities rarely came... everyone wanted to be the oppressor for their own gains. There was no shame in it at all. Why should you feel guilty? You shouldn't- it was a dog eat dog world.
I enlisted, and my education actually proved through to be qualifying for the Ministry- I was accepted and inducted. Roled into my new mask as an oppressor. Given a new slave name, with the digits 401 for myself. Unique- and was the basis of my new identity.

A DECEITFUL JEWEL
I didn't spend much in the central districts of Twenty-Four, I was educated- taught the ropes of my position though I was versed in the trade and craft easily. I knew what to do- because it was done to me and many others whom were made to kiss the boot of the combine. It was something natural to me, because it was the one thing I was exposed to for the past ten years.
I became educated in the enemies of our time- the rot. A form of infestation that couldn't easily be destroyed or eradicated- we didn't know then there was a dedicated cult towards it. Which was amusing- because it shown how much we were fallen off the path in unity. The fact a parasite became a topic of worship- was shown that my job was justified. Though that comes later...
This city became the birthplace of a new me, one that became accustomed and desenstitzed in the abuse of my fellow man. Someone that I could have shared a drink at a local cafe or bar. It was something that I would soon later treat as a remedy for my own issues. A method of projection which I could enact on others with little retaliation...
The comradery I found? Not abundant yet... as a recruit- you're a nobody. You were a pest to anyone who had to educate you. A liability- and it was something I wanted to cure myself from. Which I ultimately succeeded... I passed... I was educated... and I was fit to work on my own in the suppression of mankind.
I GRADUATED INTO A SUPPOSED RACE TRAITOR.
I FELT GUILT- THOUGH IT FADED WITH TIME.
IT BECAME A JOB I WOKE UP TO.
CLOCK INTO A SHIFT.
CLOCK OUT, ONCE I MET MY QUOTA.
I FELT GUILT- THOUGH IT FADED WITH TIME.
IT BECAME A JOB I WOKE UP TO.
CLOCK INTO A SHIFT.
CLOCK OUT, ONCE I MET MY QUOTA.

I WAS GOOD AT IT
This place introduced me to then three people who I would be very close with. 055, 552 and 403. 055 was simply an experienced and veteran command unit. I originally had intentions to join up with the Investigation Division- though having saved 090's life. I was able to do some good as a combat medic. She was responsible of the then Medical Division (before it merged into the Revitalisation Division) in which I embarked my medical career.
I had wits, my hands were shaky but my practical skills shined.
I called myself a saviour. As that's what I truly did.
I went above and beyond.
Saw me mention 403? There's no place I'd go without him, we went through the depth of hell and back multiple times. Together, in and out. I don't know where he is anymore- it's ironic for me to say all this yet have abandoned him. Though- I know he's with 055 for sure. Which she was an effective mentor of sorts.
There's too much for me to talk about- on what we did.
I saved the lives of Rank Leaders, and Inspectors. I was their guardian angels.
I went into the depths of the rot- with 403 and saved the minister of progress from City Seventeen.
THEY PINNED MEDALS AND RIBBONS ONTO ME FOR MY SUCCESS.
YET I STILL WAS PART OF A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM OF OPPRESSION
I TOOK SURGERIES THAT MUDDLED MY MIND UP
I CHOSE TO DO SO.
IF I WAS TO HESITATE? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN THEN?
YET I STILL WAS PART OF A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM OF OPPRESSION
I TOOK SURGERIES THAT MUDDLED MY MIND UP
I CHOSE TO DO SO.
IF I WAS TO HESITATE? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN THEN?
I WAS SHOWN TO BE MORE THAN WHO I WAS
THOUGH NOTHING LASTED FOREVER
I met her. Someone I looked at and realised they deserved so much more than what the world had to offer. I had no clue on this sensation- but I saw her once coming up to me for work. An ethic which was lacking in most citizens who were simply idle for- and that reason alone made me feel guilty for my status. The people that I put beneath my boot- I believe they deserved it. Though one thing I left out ultimately in the equation? Was the fact that there was still the undeserving like her.THOUGH NOTHING LASTED FOREVER
It was the first time I've ever done something bold- but I offered her a hand-up. A way to give her more than what was given now- and I was the only way. I frightened her- as I was acting out of character for the role I was put up in. She was reserved, quiet, and competent. She did what was asked of her- and only kept time for herself. There was nothing beyond that- she hardly seemed social. I gaze into the streets and saw her isolated- only in her mind for fear of stepping out of line.
Our garrison was perverted. There were people that saw her as an easy target- and I sought to protect her for that reason. My service record was the only credibility I held. The lives of those that I saved were of immense value. The Ministry owed many debts to me. I was able to get what I wanted because I fought for it. I crushed those that opposed us- guilty or innocent- I saved those that supported us- useless or useful. For that reason- I had cause to get what I wanted. That being a better life for her.
I felt in this moment- that the role I played wasn't something I was limited to. You can demonise me many things- but this moment showed I was still a human.

THE UPRISING AND MY EXODUS
I was done.
We were abandoned, left to our own devices.
So it was time to leave.
In an ideal world? I wished for 055, 024, 552 and 403 to have come with me and her.
Though they did not- I believe they chose to stay and fight against our overlord masters.
WE LEFT BY OURSELVES, A FEW DAYS AGO.
WE PLANNED THIS SINCE THE START.
WE WERE HOPING OTHERS WOULD COME WITH US.
THOUGH IT WAS BETTER IF IT WAS JUST US.
FREEDOM WAS THERE, AND WE TOOK IT.
You weren't going to have us at all.
I would do anything for her- her life above mine.
There will be no tribunals for my crimes.
I am free.
THIS IS THE END OF MY STORY, AS A NEW LIFE OPENS FOR ME
IMPOSE YOUR JUDGEMENTS ONTO ME
I AM QUICK-401, AND THIS WAS MY STORY
I would do anything for her- her life above mine.
There will be no tribunals for my crimes.
I am free.
THIS IS THE END OF MY STORY, AS A NEW LIFE OPENS FOR ME
IMPOSE YOUR JUDGEMENTS ONTO ME
I AM QUICK-401, AND THIS WAS MY STORY
MY CLOSEST
Bożena Kowalczyk - I looked at you, and felt guilt for who I was. I offered a hand-up, and you were rightfully concerned. In a world full of snakes, it was natural for you to fear me. Though now? We've made it through together- we have a new life waiting for us. There will be hardships, but your new smiles makes me wanting to continue for all of us. I understand what love feels like now. I'll never leave you, no matter what. The new world is ours to embark together.
HERO-055 - My mentor, the woman who gave me a chance at doing more than taking lives. Instead- saving the ones that were important to us all. These skills I won't forget at all- in this new world? They're essential. I wish I could have said goodbye properly, knowing you wanted to hold out in the new uprising humanity has taken upon themselves to finish. Though- I know you'll survive out here, and I bid you good luck.
HERO-552 - Someone who I believe who also falls under the undeserving- her causes for being one of us is like the rest. Though the tragedy is in all in the fact that despite what she did was needed to support her family. One of them- rejected her for who she was. Despite all the benefits she carried- I wish I could have done more to support her. Especially with how volatile this new world is- I can only imagine how plagued your mind is on those you care about the most. I'm happy we said goodbye and you'll manage well enough. You're a warrior.
XRAY-403 - You reminded me of Martin a lot- you stuck with me- and I stuck with you. We fought together in the most gravest scenarios- and supported one another when it came to it the most. I do not know where you are, I can only hope you are with 552, 024 and 055. You're a brother to me- and like 552. I know you'll manage- especially with you and her together. I could have hoped you were there to come with me- because this world is ripe for the picking.
JURY-024 - A visionary of sorts- me and you? Pure-bred Americans, and we understand eachother the most. We understand what collaboration means the most- you helped me ascend my career ladder- and for that I owe you so much. You allowed me to show to the others that I'm more than a mindless grunt- but a leader. We fought together at some points- and I'll credit you a lot. Likewise with 403 and 055. We couldn't say goodbye- and I hope that you'll overcome the future challenges.
MY VICTIMS
Michael Yards - I hated what you represented- you tried to play brave by me- and you got the worst out of me instead. You had no reason to behave the way you did- was the need to prove yourself there? That showing your boldness would scare me off? I don't doubt you've done good things in your life. Though you and Marcum certainly deserved that blackmark. With your need to be defensive or bold with me. I don't regret the things I've done to you- and I hope that bullet stays in your thigh. A parting gift from me.
Credits:
@Cjtn10 - HERO-055
@Marco - HERO-552
@nora - XRAY-403
@Nezoose - JURY-024
@atlassu - Bożena Kowalczyk
@RedHotGinger - Emiyo Marcum
@Sushi082 - Michael Yards
Thanks, you seven for helping me develop my most favourite character I've played on V2!
It was fun writing this bit! Good luck if you're still in for the endgame!
Attachments
Last edited:

