Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tips on how to write Character Descriptions?

Ghost of Texas

New member
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Messages
9
I'd like to know if anyone has any tips or advice on how best to write a character description. Thanks!
 
Honestly. Less is more. There are the obvious caveats of not putting your entire bio, likes and dislikes but in general keeping it a few sentences is best. I don't know why people insist on describing every piece of their character if I can see it on their bodygroups. Of course its also best to change your description based off of current events. Such as starvation or emotional state.

For example instead of writing 6'11/Big/Scary Looking Guy/Carries RPG

It should be more written as
"A giant human that carries a rocket launcher smelling of cheap cigarettes and sewage." is a lot more interesting than the previous description. Of course even people with cringey descriptions can still do good RP its just a good sign they're either new or simply have a strange method of displaying their character's traits.
 
Use full sentences, no dividers

Pay attention to the "vibe" of the character you want to convey, not just the physical features - but ideally try to tie it to something about the character's appearance itself. e.g saying your character has a strict "bearing/posture/expression" is better than simply saying they're strict.

Use colloquial language. Don't call yourself medicalesque dehumanizing terms like "A human female" or the civil protection classic "An anonymous functionary...", any alternative that is used in daily language goes. Some guy, some cop, an officer, a man, a vagrant, a worker, a slave, a geezer.
 
When writing a description you gotta ask "how do you want the character to to come across?" But remember.... things like a social preference or job like "hates combine" or "ex salesmam" should be left out entirely. Things like that are up to you to convey with interaction with other characters.

When it comes to bringing your character to life, think about features that stand out about the character. Their tone of voice, how does the character portray themselves in conversation, tattoos, haircut etc.

I'll name a few famous characters that we all probably know and write a description for them as an example. (Don't use these)

Heisenberg (Breaking Bad):
"A refined and well spoken man, speaking mostly in a calm and collected tone of voice. Upon his left hand he wears a golden wedding ring."

Kellog (Fallout 4):
"A tough looking man with a scar across his left eye. He has an umcomfertably calm and clinical tone about him, and speaks in a low and gruff voice."

Peter Griffin:
"A jolly man with an overweight body and cleft chin. His stomach bloats like the average beer drinker. He speaks in a rather high pitched voice."
 
| 5'6" | Male | Scar Across Left Cheek | Combine killed family |
 
20210725202006_1.png
 
If you become a CP, don’t describe the intricate details of your equipment, nobody gives a shit how much shinier your boots are than everyone else’s
 
I just write what can be seen and heard. Skin colour, scaring, accents ect. As said above saying things like “lost his family in the war and hates the combine” doesn’t make sense, if you walk up to someone in the street you’re not gonna know their life story just by looking at them
 
Honestly. Less is more. There are the obvious caveats of not putting your entire bio, likes and dislikes but in general keeping it a few sentences is best. I don't know why people insist on describing every piece of their character if I can see it on their bodygroups. Of course its also best to change your description based off of current events. Such as starvation or emotional state.

For example instead of writing 6'11/Big/Scary Looking Guy/Carries RPG

It should be more written as
"A giant human that carries a rocket launcher smelling of cheap cigarettes and sewage." is a lot more interesting than the previous description. Of course even people with cringey descriptions can still do good RP its just a good sign they're either new or simply have a strange method of displaying their character's traits.

Regarding my previous point. If you have a really epic description that you really want to share. Make a Bio. Willard Networks doesn't have the best detailed description system IMO and as such if you want to describe your character's extreme hair routine, put it on the Bio not on your actual in game description.

In terms of also Willard, I find it odd to describe your age, height, eye color and hair color when its already selected for you. But I understand people don't want to see
"big rpg man"
But honestly keep it small. If you want to go big, go ham on a bio or share it via Discord or Steam Messages or a google doc. I had two descriptions, my detailed and my basic. Most people aren't going to read through endless lines of description and if you're a Rebel you don't want that. If you're a CP you also don't want that.

In regards to Civil Protection, I find "functionary" annoying and I personally want to gouge the player's eyes out and PK them right there on the spot if I had a script. Use everyday language. Nobody wants to read

"A 6'1 Civil Protection Functionary with a feminine, well built figure carrying a large heavy backpack, highly polished uniform, a worn out stunstick, a 9mm handgun scratched with each execution, posh vocoder, carries a giant wall of text describing how much they stand out and the writer can no longer find anymore ways of making this more cringey-"

Okay I stopped putting effort halfway point is.

"A tall bitchy well-built copper with a large backpack and up to standard uniform, speaking with a posh vocoder " is honestly better for a server like Willard.

If you're a rebel you'd probably also want to frequently change your description depending on where you are. Honestly if you're anybody really you should frequently change your description and never keep it the same with the exception of the bare minimal of Uniqueness. I'm pretty sure everyone else has given basically the same opinion as I. But I decided to repeat the gesture and to deter people from committing the same cardinal sins of Character Descriptions.

Details for Bios.
Basics for In Game.
 
Back
Top