Under Red Skies - Day 6 Feedback Thread.

Kaffee

Adminge
Hello there!

I wasn't able to be there today, due to a gas leak, which had me evacuated.
However I'm seeing a lot of heat building up!

Therefore I'm going to open this up, to give everyone a chance to speak. :)

See you tomorrow!

1666915321295.png

The Combine shouldn’t have returned to the city with it’s entire might at it’s disposal, it just ruined the point of the event, added even more OTA, and made it basically impossible for there to be any endings except “Combine Win” or “Combine Destroy City”. Was fun but today just killed a lot of momentum. Personal biases aside, I’ve heard this from a lot of people.

The Combine shouldn’t have returned to the city with it’s entire might at it’s disposal, it just ruined the point of the event, added even more OTA, and made it basically impossible for there to be any endings except “Combine Win” or “Combine Destroy City”. Was fun but today just killed a lot of momentum. Personal biases aside, I’ve heard this from a lot of people.
as a guy who was able to play CP, it doesnt ruin the momentum of the event. the event itself has to have some kind of ending, realistically the combine's either gonna destroy it or attempt to rebuild it, overwatch isnt just gonna let a popular city like Beijing crumble down and destroy itself.

Actions have consequences, launching a full blown uprising where you stormed the nexus, massacred the entire CP garrison and letting anarchy reign in the streets was bound to finally draw the Combine's attention back to Beijing. Even if they can't secure it, they won't let a massive city like 51 completely fall into rebel hands where it can be used as a staging post for a sector or event planet-wide revolt.

Also, the endings are hardly railroaded into either a total or partial Combine Victory, there are still many ways the rebels, gangs or even a third party could claim victory at the end.

as a guy who was able to play CP, it doesnt ruin the momentum of the event. the event itself has to have some kind of ending, realistically the combine's either gonna destroy it or attempt to rebuild it, overwatch isnt just gonna let a popular city like Beijing crumble down and destroy itself.
I was also CP, and that’s literally what they were already doing. That was the whole story, they were letting it crumble on purpose to get rid of most of the people there with the excuse that it simply crumbled. The Combine now showing up doesn’t make sense with the rest of the story we have been told so far.

Seeing the Midnight Marauders get decimated by 5+ Vortigaunts and the Red Guard on day 5 and having their businesses raided to the point of being non-salvageable for the most part was a huge detriment to Civilian Roleplay, and I'm somewhat disgruntled with how things ultimately turned out for Day 6, but otherwise feel the event to be more than adequate quality overall and enjoyable thus far despite my grievances.

The Red Guard, the group with the easily most questionable roleplay quality and intent, raiding the nexus on Day 5 killed most of the event's momentum, as Civil Protection and civilians were being attacked discriminately, and a lot of questionable actions from more malicious individuals occurred that day (particularly from the Red Guard) which was upsetting to the people it affected (i.e. combine supplies being eaten in 30 seconds by a raiding rebel.)

Day 4 & 6 were a 6/10, while Day 5 was more akin to a 3/10, as it effectively killed any momentum and pacing the event had been building to thus far, and reduced the event's remaining time from two weeks to only one. With RP hubs like Purgatory out of the way, beyond the Civil Workers Union, there isn't any place for civilians to collectively gather and roleplay with one another in an interesting, safe environment free from the badgering of more malign characters and the frivolous assaults of Gangs.

Hearing quotes, even if secondhand, like "Take off your suit, i want to try it on. Promise I'll hand it back." doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and trust in the roleplay ability of certain groups like the Red Guards, especially when they have a known penchant for violence and disrupting roleplaying, and it feels to me that the majority of their members are more concerned with scripts than roleplay. It may just be a consequence of quantity over quality in their recruitment policy, something exacerbated by the fall of the other gangs, but I certainly wouldn't want the event to devolve into a generic "Red Guard vs. Combine" type of event. By Day 4, the Red Guard, who throughout the event had a rather minimal impact up until then, felt as though they were becoming increasingly more generic by day, and by Day 5 felt more like a generic rebel group than anything profound or unique, something far from its unique (though unoriginal) premises, a sentiment I and many others share about the group's continued conduct, with even the group's own rules are being neglected by its members, likely as a result of it spiralling into the generic, bland rebel group umbrella after killing the other gangs.

Regardless of my criticism towards the more malign groups and characters of the event, I am excited to see how things will fold out tomorrow, especially with the Scarab, as I have yet to see the Scarab take a more prevalent role during the event, and I am disappointed that NPCs like the Juggernaut haven't been used in favour of more recognizable, but equally out-of-place L4D2 zombies.

I was also CP, and that’s literally what they were already doing. That was the whole story, they were letting it crumble on purpose to get rid of most of the people there with the excuse that it simply crumbled. The Combine now showing up doesn’t make sense with the rest of the story we have been told so far.

The difference being if it simply crumbled then it's collapsed into chaos and can easily be written off. However, if an organized rebel group seized power and took control of the city with such a large population then that's a massive threat, and OCIN knows this. As I said before, actions have consequences and launching a massive uprising that almost succeeded would definitely have major consequences.

I'm going to write my thoughts on this event on top of complaints I've heard and see if people agree or disagree on it, since I'm often helping on the admin/GM side so mostly get to hear second-hand other than what I see in observer.

For a City that had a uprising 3 years ago, and since, hasn't been touched by the Combine in those years, this day felt really weird. Corporate Security feels like rebelCPs, I saw them stop-and-searching random Citizens, telling people to move on, and there was a big fiasco today involving them which shouldn't have happened in the first place.

CS is genuinely already more heavily armed than any of the previous gangs were. Every single CS member is provided - Mac-10 + ammo and mags for it - Medical Mask + Boonie Cap - Tier 2 Kevlar - padded pants - shoes - Radio - which on it's own, goes against what the event had actually planned from the start, even some of the CCA were using a makeshift radio, I don't understand how this group suddenly appeared overnight with so much equipment, and are... working with the Combine, too?

I understand that with Marauders suddenly being killed off a new group needed to be added to fill their place. And it really didn't seem to work spare for those who're in their group. I saw a majority of the players joining today seemed to be with CS (though with no in-game group, I can't get a number), but from what I've seen, CS simply aren't adding any passive value to the event. I'm sure they'll work on inviting more passive or stuff for people who aren't in their gang, but today I didn't see much.

Finally, it genuinely seems insulting to undo all of the work that the Red Guard has done, and while I do admit most of the time they've been in their bunker, I can't blame them for operating their group the way they want, especially when previous events have gone awry when any group is leaked to the public (+ all of the other gangs being public & getting wiped/messed with), they still started as fairly as any other group did, with a location that was fair game.

All in all though, hopefully the next few days can be more enjoyable.

The whole story kind of took a weird turn today.

Combine returning with full strength after the city almost went into full anarchy doesnt make any sense to me seeing as the combine had pretty much left everyone there to starve to begin with.

The whole story kind of took a weird turn today.

Combine returning with full strength after the city almost went into full anarchy doesnt make any sense to me seeing as the combine had pretty much left everyone there to starve to begin with.

They didn't though

The difference being if it simply crumbled then it's collapsed into chaos and can easily be written off. However, if an organized rebel group seized power and took control of the city with such a large population then that's a massive threat, and OCIN knows this. As I said before, actions have consequences and launching a massive uprising that almost succeeded would definitely have major consequences.

It's not as if a rebel group could make a city fully self sustainable for such a large population to begin with.
I think the event has been trying to convey that message for a long time, after all.. people were starving all over and ICly a lot of those people have probably died due to starvation.

When a city with a large population loses it's supply of food and goods, anarchy ensues.

Anarchy would have been far more enjoyable to RP out, IMHO

It's not as if a rebel group could make a city fully self sustainable for such a large population to begin with.
I think the event has been trying to convey that message for a long time, after all.. people were starving all over and ICly a lot of those people have probably died due to starvation.

When a city with a large population loses it's supply of food and goods, anarchy ensues.

Anarchy would have been far more enjoyable to RP out, IMHO

Directionless anarchy with just the zombie plotline would have lead to a dead event in hours.

Directionless anarchy with just the zombie plotline would have lead to a dead event in hours.

Well.. that's just your opinion.. man.

Anarchy is very enjoyable, it allows for all kinds of scenarios that we're not used to seeing.
Unlike the scenario that we're all to familiar with, which is the combine being in control.

Anarchy is very enjoyable, it allows for all kinds of scenarios that we're not used to seeing.
Unlike the scenario that we're all to familiar with, which is the combine being in control.

They aren't though, they are trying (And significantly struggling) to reassert their authority through a corrupt system that hates them, wading into a city which is a literal deathtrap and there are still two well-armed, highly motivated and numerically powerful rebel groups who own around half the map.

Did you just do a Big Lebowski quote in the willard networks forums

Back