Welcome to Willard Networks!

Experience a next-level Half-Life 2 Roleplay experience. Taking inspiration from games such as Divinity Original Sin and Xcom 2. Featuring a completely overhauled combat system, gameplay and UI.

Venomous Headcrab

registry: brush him

Introduction
---------------------------------------------------------
When the species of Xen rampaged across Earth in the interval of infestation and the intensifying portal storms, among the several invasive species recorded were the Headcrabs.

These were made known to the Black Mesa Science Team when they began research on Xen. These parasitics would latch onto the heads of their hosts, use their beaks to latch onto their parietal lobes, and forebeaks to paralyze the victim so that they would be forced into submission.

However, a few years after the Combine conquered the world now known as Planet 314 during the Seven Hour War, the simple white-bodied, chicken-like headcrab began to show several subspecies, usually deployed during infection shellings. These subspecies were likely a result of genetic engineering by the Combine, breeding them to be more dangerous and useful.

Among them were the Venomous Headcrabs, taxonomically designated as the "Xenoparasitus Venunum" (Poisonous Alien Parasite), and also known simply as "Poison Headcrabs", or "Venom Viromes" in Combine Phaseology.

poisoncrab.PNG
Survival and Parasitism
Displaying a level of intelligence roughly twice that of a standard parasitic (and 2.5x the weight) Venomous Headcrabs have a survival instinct that revolves around clever hunting tactics. While most headcrabs very deliberately attempt to couple with human hosts, the poisonous variant is known to only seek sustenance, preying upon small animals and attacking humans with the intent of poisoning or even paralyzing them so that they might be weakened and killed later.

When threatened, these Venomous Headcrabs are known to slowly drum their legs against the ground, creating a slow, pounding noise. If threats continue to approach, or if they are simply hunting, they will pounce prey directly.

A pounce can easily be identified by a sound emanated by the headcrab prior to its pounce, sounding akin to a "rattle" or "hiss", or a mixture of both. This is the sound of a "tongue" within the crab twitching and shaking rapidly, as well as the beaks and mandibles of the crab rattling vibrantly, along with the creature vocalizing a hiss. It is an unmistakable sign that the creature is about to jump towards prey it is facing.

One weakness this variant has is its inability to properly hold a host. While Poison Headcrabs have the adrenaline compounds needed to maneuver unwilling hosts, they lack the proper paralytic needed to restrain the victim until coupling can be achieved (theoretically due to their poison glands mostly replacing paralytic glands). For this reason, to claim a host, it is necessary for the headcrabs to infect victims with their neurotoxin, and then stalk them until they succumb to its primary symptom: Fatigue.

When the host has been claimed, other hitchhikers may participate, leaping onto any other part of the human host as long as they provide the proper adrenaline to keep it moving. At this point, as long as the primary headcrab is attached, the necrotic may continue.

Poison Necrotics are hulking, bloated, overgrown zombies with incredible weight and at least three attached headcrabs. They do not typically last long in the wild - their bodies are constantly secreting fluid and being harvested by the headcrabs, which eventually decomposes the host and leaves it entirely unusable.

True to their name, they are not venomous - but they ARE poisonous. Contact with them has been known to expose humans to several forms of viral diseases, and tends to cause often debilitating illnesses.

One specific disease caused by contact with Poison Necrotics is "Sub-Necrosis". Sub-Necrosis is a very specific form of Necrosis that kills cells on a very small scale at first, but left unwashed or untreated (especially in cases where the victim is immuno-compromised), it can spread and cause limbs to become gangrenous as the Sub-Necrosis becomes fully Necrotic.

Neurotoxin Symptoms & Treatment
Venom Virome Neurotoxin is inflicted in sporadic cases of Sub-Necrosis caused by contact with a Poison Necrotic, or laceration from a Venomous Headcrab. Its effects are easily identified.

-High Fatigue
-Nausea & Vomiting
-Weakness
-Asphyxiation
-Sub-Necrosis
-Paralyzing
-Cardiac Arrest
-Organ Failure

Recovery from the poison is possible and happens in most cases where the victim is healthy and their immune system is capable of removing the Sub-Necrotic compounds. If a neurotoxin antidote is administered, all effects can be removed in as little as an hour. Symptoms will worsen with repeated exposure, and it is recommended to treat the lacerated area as soon as possible so as to prevent infection, which would almost certainly be crippling or lethal.

After an antidote has been administered or the immune system has ridded the neurotoxin, antibiotics or surgery will be necessary to remove the long-term effects of Sub-Necrosis, if that is a symptom of the neurotoxin (which is somewhat rare).

Venomous Headcrab neurotoxin is not always lethal on its own due to the circumstances of administration - it is not regularly administered in a high enough volume to be fatal to a human with a strong immune system. If a victim's vitals are in optimal condition, they are far less likely to be killed by the neurotoxin.

Due to the variances in the toxin's effects, great care should always be taken of the wound where possible if a laceration is received from a Venomous Headcrab. This is to prevent infection and belay the spread of any extreme symptoms such as sub-necrosis.

Last edited:
I think this is mostly good, but I would like to ponder on a something

I think it is generally believed that these creatures are genetically modified by the combine themselves, rather than a natural evolution. This is supported through the rapid development they must have underwent as well as the fact they are only really ever seen in areas where Shells were deployed by the combine. This is in no way proven, and even if it were, it wouldn't be the first deviation from the lore. Just wanted to mention it, in the event you found it interesting or worth changing.

Onto actual problems:

1. have a survival instinct that revolves around scavenging
I don't think this fits these creatures all that well. The venom of the poison headcrab is incredibly powerful generally speaking and in Half Life, they are shown to have a hunters instinct. They regularly attack the player in every game they are featured in, thus the idea of them being scavengers seems inappropriate.

One specific disease caused by contact with Poison Necrotics is "Sub-Necrosis", which causes sporadic cases of partial necrosis in the hands or feet, or any primarily infected areas. It is known to spread, but is rarely lethal.
An interesting idea, that people can get a form of minor poisoning from mere contact with the constantly exposed carcass of a zombified being. However, I think it is explained somewhat poorly though, and makes it sound caught between being highly dangerous and reversible. Necrosis is not reversible, and is very serious since it leads to gangrene, which if untreated, will result in at least the amputation of the afflicted area or eventual death. Might want to elaborate on the 'partial necrosis' idea as a result of this.

Venomous Headcrab neurotoxin is not lethal on its own due to the size of the headcrabs administering it
Do not really like this. Venomous headcrabs in Half Life always seemed to be incredibly poisonous, and due to their heightened intelligence it seems the way they hunt is based entirely around it. If left untreated, the venom inside these creatures should be fatal in my opinion. Size does not necessarily play a factor in venom. But these things are not from Earth so, moot point.

In summary, I'm not a fan of them being 'scavengers' since nothing really supports this, and multiple behavioral traits go against it. They have venom for a reason and it is not a defensive measure given how aggressive the creatures are.

I also think the venom they carry should be treated as a far more dangerous and lethal concept. I also disagree with the concept of Poisonous zombies being rare due to headcrabs rarely being able to take hosts. It seems really likely that they would poison you, wait for you to succumb and then grapple hold of you. A potential change you could make is that poison headcrabs more rapidly deteriorate hosts, through venom secretion and feeding, which results in less active zombies being seen. This sticks to their nature better, in my opinion.

Id imagine the reason many others hop on board is because hitching a ride is a good way to save energy, and that they have the wits to understand the value of ambush tactics. Do like the idea of them contributing to the host when taking a ride though.

Also would be cool if you added an explanation regarding the 'rattle' you hear prior to them pouncing. Would be a nice detail.

Worth noting that I based a lot of information on the headcrab poison on Half-Life: Alyx. However, I will alter the description of Sub-Necrosis right now.

I kinda figured that you based it off of Alyx, and while I can not speak for anyone else, HL2 venom is probably better to go off of. Alyx clearly had to make some compromises to make sure the headcrab was not an insane, or annoying challenge (As Alyx lacks an HEV suit) so they made it appear far weaker with poison that barely exists. I think the more powerful poison headcrab from HL2 is a far better specimen to base the sub-species on as it makes them truly unique from the other variants.

Looks should still be taken from Alyx, but I think behavior should be more HL2.

Gave it a read through. Nice lore post, very interesting. Due to the interesting and highly detailed nature of this post, not sure whether it should go in legends or ambiguous... but I am going to give a bit of room and say that this is ambiguous. Headcrabs everyone knows about, just the details is where it gets a bit fuzzy

Accepted

Back