Welcome to Willard Networks!

Experience a next-level Half-Life 2 Roleplay experience. Taking inspiration from games such as Divinity Original Sin and Xcom 2. Featuring a completely overhauled combat system, gameplay and UI.

Official Willard V3 Roadmap - Updated Bi-Weekly

1682809478781.png

Willard V3 Roadmap
Welcome to our quick dev update and/or announcement. We have released a Public Trello Roadmap for Version 3 of Willard Networks for all to view our progress and status in V3 Development, lore writing, guidelines and policies, etc.

It has not been fully fleshed out with all the information required for the full picture, but what I have remembered off the top of my own head has been placed down thus far and will continue to add and update cards every 2 weeks for you to keep track and gain new information of how Version 3 is going of Willard. You can watch us closely this way and know how far V3 is off approximately.

Atm, there is no given ETA on V3 release, but we will provide one once we are closer to the date of completion. For now, enjoy this Trello available for all to see:

Enjoy and that is all.
Small update!
-Robert

I won't try to make this post super long.

Basically I'm worried about V3. The original post that helped push forward the idea of a wipe that I made was here:

In this thread I generally described a few issues with Willard that I thought a wipe could help fix. Including restoring the mysticism of the server, changing the gameplay loop, and fixing the lore.

I'm sure some of these issues have been addressed but generally when I was viewing behind the scenes, it seemed the timeline seemed a bit wonky (rewind to an earlier date?) and the general outline for how 'gameplay' would work - (ala completely avoiding the topic and just talking about how the first month or two would work?)

Generally I'd just like to see how the people in charge plan to prevent this wipe from immediately reverting back to the exact same way willard is right now after things become consolidated
(basically past the first few months).

turn-based combat is gonna make a come back? or am i reading this wrong? :)
Yes and no

It will have similar features to TBC, but instead of it being Xcom style, it's more Disco-Elysium. You /me your actions during your turn (you're given a reasonable amount of time to do this - but it's not infinite, if you take too long then your turn is passed), then either a GM will provide a reaction to that /me or the player targeted will.

I think TBRP would work well with some near-automated timescale feature, or at least something that details where other players were before they wandered into the situation. Either way, it'd make S2RP a lot less messy, since people won't be able to skip another players turn or act out of their turn.

I think for NPC fights it'd still be S2K though, I'm not sure.

1682830612034.png
Rebels will use advanced AI technology to enhance this image and see what has the highest DPS

Yes and no

It will have similar features to TBC, but instead of it being Xcom style, it's more Disco-Elysium. You /me your actions during your turn (you're given a reasonable amount of time to do this - but it's not infinite, if you take too long then your turn is passed), then either a GM will provide a reaction to that /me or the player targeted will.

I think TBRP would work well with some near-automated timescale feature, or at least something that details where other players were before they wandered into the situation. Either way, it'd make S2RP a lot less messy, since people won't be able to skip another players turn or act out of their turn.

I think for NPC fights it'd still be S2K though, I'm not sure.

View attachment 22001
Rebels will use advanced AI technology to enhance this image and see what has the highest DPS
A turn-based system has no place on a multiplayer public roleplay server. I don't know what this fetishization of S2RP is on GMOD, almost every other roleplaying game simply uses S2K because it is quicker and more definitive. With this system, there will be constant bickering and arguing in LOOC leading to more administrative problems, IMO S2K is superior simply because it is exactly that, you shoot to kill and there is no need for people to argue and whine, and it respects the movement of other players (if you add in S2RP, people will still be moving at a normal pace that doesn't respect the time it takes for someone to write out paragraphs of /me).

You will never be able to make a good system that can compliment both the timescale of the on-going S2RP and the time it takes for people to just walk up to it and observe, disrespecting the actual time-scale itself. S2K avoids this issue completely. If you had a character for months, would you be willing to possibly lose it because a GM said that Timmy's bullet splattered your character's brains across the ceiling on the third /me? At least in S2K the decision is made without any other interference, admin or otherwise.

Everything else mentioned looks good, looking forward to it barring the turn-based stuff.

Last edited:
S2K is superior because I can just press M and shoot you down and then type the shittiest /me with 300 spelling mistakes in 2 words "exxubetes hikmf" and then he just dies... It's so easy

S2K is superior because I can just press M and shoot you down and then type the shittiest /me with 300 spelling mistakes in 2 words "exxubetes hikmf" and then he just dies... It's so easy
Still better than S2RP by a long shot

A turn-based system has no place on a multiplayer public roleplay server. I don't know what this fetishization of S2RP is on GMOD, almost every other roleplaying game simply uses S2K because it is quicker and more definitive. With this system, there will be constant bickering and arguing in LOOC leading to more administrative problems, IMO S2K is superior simply because it is exactly that, you shoot to kill and there is no need for people to argue and whine, and it respects the movement of other players (if you add in S2RP, people will still be moving at a normal pace that doesn't respect the time it takes for someone to write out paragraphs of /me).

You will never be able to make a good system that can compliment both the timescale of the on-going S2RP and the time it takes for people to just walk up to it and observe, disrespecting the actual time-scale itself. S2K avoids this issue completely. If you had a character for months, would you be willing to possibly lose it because a GM said that Timmy's bullet splattered your character's brains across the ceiling on the third /me? At least in S2K the decision is made without any other interference, admin or otherwise.

Everything else mentioned looks good, looking forward to it barring the turn-based stuff.
S2K doesn't account for many things which can put someone at a disadvantage - lag, be it FPS or bad ping, hitreg issues, freezing, etc, and it just turns a serious RP server into a glorified CSGO match. A turn based system make it fair for everyone involved, and puts them all on a equal playing field in regards to hardware or internet capabilities.

You're right that nobody would want to lose their character because of bad judgement from a GM - but that's something that can easily be worked on and countered in a PK appeal. Meanwhile in S2K, how would you feel if you lagged out and when you come to, suddenly your character is lying dead on the ground? Or what if you're just not a COD player and suck at S2K while realistically a character might have more combat skills than the player behind the screen?

What I don't understand is the 'fetishization' of S2K on a serious RP server, unless if it's something that includes too many players to effectively be ran - but a properly implemented system code-wise could allow for more players to take part in S2RP without it needing as much micromanagement as it currently does while also giving more lee-way for those who will always take the L in S2K for one reason or another.

S2K doesn't account for many things which can put someone at a disadvantage - lag, be it FPS or bad ping, hitreg issues, freezing, etc, and it just turns a serious RP server into a glorified CSGO match. A turn based system make it fair for everyone involved, and puts them all on a equal playing field in regards to hardware or internet capabilities.

You're right that nobody would want to lose their character because of bad judgement from a GM - but that's something that can easily be worked on and countered in a PK appeal. Meanwhile in S2K, how would you feel if you lagged out and when you come to, suddenly your character is lying dead on the ground? Or what if you're just not a COD player and suck at S2K while realistically a character might have more combat skills than the player behind the screen?

What I don't understand is the 'fetishization' of S2K on a serious RP server, unless if it's something that includes too many players to effectively be ran - but a properly implemented system code-wise could allow for more players to take part in S2RP without it needing as much micromanagement as it currently does while also giving more lee-way for those who will always take the L in S2K for one reason or another.
S2RP doesn't respect the timescale of the engine and it becomes very reliant on admin verdict which can lead to all sort of biases since the average age of the playerbase on this server is about 14-16.

Back