M
Merlinsclaw
Guest
- Thread Author
- #1
INTRODUCTION
It's been about a full year since Willard originally launched. It was around this time last year that hype was building for the first launch and in Jan/Feb of this year, things fell flat. I was originally a harsh critic of Willard but it has grown on me in the past year. I have a few things that I'd like to discuss, including what Willard has done right, and what I still think needs work. I'll start off from the beginning.
QUALITY OF RP
Willard has a reputation (it's slightly unserious). In the past few months, Willard has improved greatly in several different fields. The quality of Civil Protection is one thing to note. I'd say that we went from 6'9 Darth Vader cops to actual players, and I'm glad about that.
However, there are still problems. Unseriousness can be a problem at times. An infamous admin had a graphic incident (in the past month!) of shit rp (wtf!) and shit like fart rp is still somewhat common(wtf!!) This is an apparent problem, but that isn't all.
This behavior has carried over into events and serious moments, not just downtime. In the Auspicious Event, earlier this month, it was reported that some GMs were throwing around props at fellow admins and players. In Motherland, just this week, an admin on the Combine side came out of noclip and spammed VCs while the S.R.F was attempting to RP and had a general serious mood. It killed the vibe for a while.
The quality of RP needs to be improved and admins especially need to be addressed.
Good job on some of the things like cops though.
EVENTS
Events are lackluster and there's behind the scenes problems too.
At the current moment, the majority of 'events' occur through Short Stories which has a broad array of events, most of which have no major impact on the server. For the most part, they've all been spectacular.
However, not all events are Short Stories and often times people yearn for a more interesting day-to-day server. These are often lackluster. I've heard that, in some cases, event-box events have been poorly propped and terribly done (Note: I was told this and have not attended one.) Even then, these types of events seem rare.
When major events do occur (ala, Motherland or Auspicious) there are internal problems. They get delayed for months on end or just seem poorly planned. Auspicious, which I had a role in, had several problems which have been discussed elsewhere. Motherland, overall, was fun but had very minimal RP. It seemed hastily thrown together, admins were unserious, and the ending and all seemed rushed and just resulted in admins going crazy with napalm instead of anything meaning.
A Megaevent is in planning, this is public knowledge at this point. I have some concerns, quite frankly. The delays and overall planning and parts of Auspicious worry me, but I do hold out that things have the opportunity to go well. However, this mostly relies on a strong staff team that can be serious and handle events. (Ala, not do shit RP or fly around spamming vcs during serious times.)
I speak from experience here. Megaevents (or as I call them 110 slotters due to Neb) can be some of the most impactful events for a server and can change the very life of HL2RP. Meaningful stories, massive battles, and gut clenching endings can invoke tears, screams, and cheers. Not all megaevents are great but some are and they will stick with you. Motherland was ultimately not one of these events for a multitude of reasons (unserious ending and primarily just an S2K fest) but that's alright. I just hope the Megaevent will be something more.
LORE
Lore is something that I believe Willard is having an extreme problem with. Willard, and its playerbase, sticks to the notion that every single detail must be planned out. Every facility must have a 3 page report. Everything that can every happen must have ONE singular documented thing that happens. Nothing is ambiguous. There's something for everything and they all have a hundred letter names like the ESICEA or the AJIEA lalalaa blah blah blah, I don't care.
Lore should be ambiguous. It should be *show*, not tell. Events and their ideas have been held back due to "THAT'S NOT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN!!! THE LORE DOCUMENT DETAILED ON JANUARY 3RD, 2020 AT 3:16 A.M STATES THAT WHEN..."
Please stop doing this. Show. Don't tell.
SPECIFIC PROBLEMS
Don't focus on this section. I just wanted to point out some things people thought was important.
"Turn Base Combat is wonky and shouldn't be around."
S2K is cool. I think it works well for things. Just don't have S2K-fest megaevents or shit, please.
"Play to Win Mentality."
Some people, faction leads, and others have a play to win mentality. They want to win. They want the status-quo. I always say do what is cool for roleplay, not what is boring.
"Rebel RP is still stagnant"
Crafting is somewhat fixed? Things are still a bit dull. It's the problem with Rebel RP. You can't ultimately change much. Even after the epic riots and things, Geneva is still epic stable!!
Anyways, thanks guys.
I hope it's read up and we can get some discussion.
Willard has made alot of progress this year. The things that I complained about months ago have mostly been resolved.
Discuss below.