Being honest as well, TBC does absolutely nothing to eliminate the fear of getting caught out mid-roleplay even if weapon damage is abysmal to compensate.
If I only have a few seconds per-round before I have to run again I'm not going to risk typing out long paragraphs to drag the guy off and heal them, I'm going to slap a /me down of blowing his brains out and bail. Sure you could spare them and let them get healed but why would you IC, if they're the enemy?
OOC its a dick move to just end a character but my brief experiences have taught me that yeah, the mentality to do so is still very much alive and well here on both sides. IC rationale comes before OOC politeness in most cases.
Building a rapport by helping the enemy after a firefight is also a neat idea but the chances of you bumping into the exact same group of cops or rebels next time vs just getting mown down are so slim it probably isn't worth it.